What's new

Dune (1984) 3hour Special Edition Widescreen Stereo (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just to update on this set: it's the *THEATRICAL VERSION* after all. :frowning:

According to HMV, that 177 m. running time *includes all extras*:

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/display...1;-1&sku=99895

That alas would make a lot more sense than the TV cut being included in 2.35. It does sound like a cool set, but $30 just to import a 45 minute documentary isn't going to be worth it for me....guess I'll keep waiting for a true "Ultimate Edition" of this film.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Details and pack shot at www.dvdtimes.co.uk here.

These include:

New 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfer of the theatrical print (131mins)
Remastered Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 Surround Sound
Impressions of Dune (40 mins) - All-new retrospective making-of documentary. Includes interviews with Kyle MacLachlan, cinematographer Freddie Francis, Editor Antony Gibbs, Producer Raffaella De Laurentiis and more (filmed in 2003)
Frank Herbert Interview (From BBC archives - 2 mins)
Original Promotional Film (6 mins) Never before seen period on-set film by Paul Sammon featuring David Lynch, Frank Herbert and many more
All-new animated menus
Theatrical Trailer

As for the extended cut, well, sometimes more is not necessarily better.

---
So many films, so little time...

DanHaya

Second Unit
I guess we'll just have to wait for the Sci Fi Channel to air it again. It hasn't been on since before the new miniseries started airing.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Speaking of Dune, have I been in a hole, or what happened to the extended version of the 2nd mini series, Children of Dune?"

I've had the same perplexing thought in the past few months. I purposively passed on the original because of what they did with the first series. But now it appears that a) It sold poorly due to people wating for the exteneded addition so they are not going to produce it. Or B) They are taking their sweet time or are doing a tie in for the next chapter in the series. It's not like they are going to run out of material anytime soon. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Aaah what a shame, it was too good to be true after all, shit!:frowning:
I'll prob buy it for the extras, I don't have any documentary material on this film and it's been one of my all time favorite films since I saw it at the cinema in 1984. And I'm also a huge fan of Frank Herbert's Dune novels, especially the first one.
Maybe the picture has been spruced up and remastered, the desert scenes were far too reddish on my region 2 copy.

Too bad Toto's score for Dune is not isolated on the DVD. I do have the original soundtrack on cd but there was a different release some years ago that included more songs that I can't seem to find anymore. That later release had some sound problems that I read about somewhere. I liked the movie but enjoyed the soundtrack a little more.

PAT

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've got both CD sountracks. The later one had odd moments where certain sounds were "missing" from the score...like no harps where the older LP-version CD soundtrack had them.

hmmm.

Would love to get this in 16x9 with a decent film-tape transfer. The current R1 DVD is an *abomination* :D

-dave

p.s. extended cut would be nice...but even a decent DVD of the theatrical would be oh-so-welcome

Eric F

Screenwriter
I encourage people to pick up the standard Children of Dune DVD. The transfer and sound is excellent- I don't see how they could improve that aspect of it. DTS would be nice, but the DD track is so good it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks