What's new

International Arrow Video Press Release: DUNE (1984) (4K UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
190990173_5771543522870746_5969912256821059202_n.jpg
191671413_1432150930461455_179985393951204131_n.jpg
(Click on above photos for large image)

Please be aware this is based on an early leak and these specs may change

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to 4K UHD in August from Arrow Video
Dune UHD (with Zavvi exclusive Steelbook)
DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
Theatrical trailers and TV spots
Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY)
The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think 4K has region restrictions
That's correct, but the Blu-ray of bonus materials could be region-locked.

I'm just wondering how much this film will lend itself to 4K. Every iteration I've seen of it is fairly soft and grainy, and it contains LOTS of opticals.

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I'm just wondering how much this film will lend itself to 4K. Every iteration I've seen of it is fairly soft and grainy, and it contains LOTS of opticals.
Yes, my 2016 UK blu ray copy from High Fliers isn’t brilliant - it’s dark and murky.
Fingers crossed that this is a big improvement.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Wow - no question that Arrow Video are the most interesting video publishing company now! I haven't seen Dune since its theatrical release and remember very little of it, apart from not really understanding what was going on. I purchased a region B version a few years back, but it's been languishing in the David Lynch section next to Inland Empire, waiting for an opportunity that never comes. I will definitely be getting this.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That's correct, but the Blu-ray of bonus materials could be region-locked.

I saw it on home video and as a 70mm BlowUp and it looked very bad in both cases apart from a few desert scenes if I recall correctly. My guess is that overall this will never look very good when taking into account the amount of special effects and how most of the movie was shot.

That being said all current home video versions are below average by Blu-ray standards so it should at least be good enough for a substantially improved and decent looking Blu-ray. As for the 4k I would say it is mostly a case of why not do it while we are at it. It certainly won't hurt their revenue stream and in some of the desert scenes there is even a chance for a little more than 1080p detail.

Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
There is also a German Koch release this August, which includes a 7 disc "Koch webshop exclusive" version:

Disc 1: 4K-UHD: Neue 4K-Abtastung vom Originalnegativ von Koch Films
Ton: Deutsch/Englisch – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Untertitel: Deutsch
Extras: Deutscher und englischer Trailer / Bildergalerie

Disc 2: Blu-ray-Version von Disc 1

Disc 3: Neue Extras:
Neue spielfilmlange Dokumentation „Der Schläfer muss erwachen – Making of DUNE“ mit vielen neuen interviews
Neues Interview mit Schauspieler Jürgen Prochnow
Featurette „Jenseits unserer Vorstellungskraft – Das Merchandise“ von und mit Brian Sillman (Netflix’s THE TOYS THAT MADE US)
Featurette „Prophecy Fulfilled – Die Filmmusik” mit neuen Interviews mit Steve Lukather und Steve Porcaro von Toto sowie Filmmusik-Historiker Tim Greiving
Interview mit Spezialeffektkünstler Giannetto De Rossi

Disc 4: Video-Archiv:
“Destination DUNE” – zeitgenössisches Making of
“Impressions of DUNE” – Making of-Dokumentation von 2003
Geschnittene Szenen, teilweise mit Kommentar von Raffaela De Laurentiis
Featurette “Designing DUNE” – über das Produktionsdesign
Featurette „DUNE Models and Minatures“ – über die Modelle
Featurette „DUNE FX“ – über die Spezialeffekte
Featurette “DUNE Wardrobe Design” – über die Kostüme
Sean Youngs Super8-Aufnahmen vom Set
Interview mit Schauspieler Paul Smith
Interview mit Production Coordinator Golda Offenheim
Audio-Archiv:
Interview mit David Lynch (Guardian Lectures 1985)
Radiointerview mit Frank Herbert zum Filmstart
David Lynch im Gespräch mit Frank Herbert zum Filmstart
Frank Herbert über die Entstehung von Dune

Disc 5: Extended Version 1

Disc 6: Extended Version 2

Disc 7: Soundtrack CD mit 17 Tracks, ca. 41 Minuten

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wow - no question that Arrow Video are the most interesting video publishing company now! I haven't seen Dune since its theatrical release and remember very little of it, apart from not really understanding what was going on.
Don't expect to find a movie that you suddenly love. It's got some lovely photography but it's Lynch's worst movie by a million miles.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't expect to find a movie that you suddenly love. It's got some lovely photography but it's Lynch's worst movie by a million miles.

I have struggled several times to watch this film in its entirety. I think you nailed it on the head -- it's beautiful to look at but it's a bit hard to get through. I may ultimately buy a scaled-down 4k edition and give it another try.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean that the extended TV version is split across two discs or does it mean they are presenting two different extended versions? I forget how long the TV cut is but I thought it would fit on a single disc.
Even if it's in HD (and I'd be surprised if it is), the TV version should still fit on one Blu-ray. Maybe there are two TV versions? IMDB has this in their alternate versions:

A third version of "Dune", seen on KTVU in San Francisco in 1992, is the only one that edits together footage from both the theatrical and TV versions, putting back the violent scenes (such as the "heart sucking sequence") and theatrical versions of some scenes (such as Paul and Jessica running from a thumper). Also, Lynch's name is restored at the end (watch for the "Assistant to Mr. Lynch" credit).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
He should have directed 'Return of the Jedi' instead as George Lucas had hoped. That would have been...something:thumbs-up-smiley:

Anyway, I'm skipping this release, although the set looks so beautiful. I tried so hard to like it, but no.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Dune (Limited Edition 4K UHD)
Following a notorious aborted attempt by Alejandro Jodorowsky in the 1970s, Frank Herbert’s bestselling sci-fi epic Dune finally made it to the big screen at the third film by emerging surrealist wunderkind David Lynch, featuring an all-star cast that includes several of Lynch’s regular collaborators.

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: https://bit.ly/2R0tmmx
Pre-order in the UK via Zavvi: https://bit.ly/34mHp94
Pre-order in the UK via HMV: https://bit.ly/3fQeuzB
Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: https://bit.ly/3uyvWOe
Pre-order in the US via Grindhouse Video: https://bit.ly/34swB9e
Pre-order in the US via Zavvi: https://bit.ly/34wWQeF
Pre-order in Canada via Unobstructed View: https://bit.ly/3oYioKI

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm sure it still is the worst movie David Lynch has made by a country mile. However, Arrow have a way of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I never really cared for Django, when I purchased the Blue Underground blu ray. But when I saw Arrow's presentation, it suddenly became much more than just another run-of-the-mill, Italian spaghetti western, championed by lovers of obscure run-of-the-mill, Italian spaghetti westerns, like Quentin Tarantino!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I'm sure it still is the worst movie David Lynch has made by a country mile. However, Arrow have a way of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I never really cared for Django, when I purchased the Blue Underground blu ray. But when I saw Arrow's presentation, it suddenly became much more than just another run-of-the-mill, Italian spaghetti western, championed by lovers of obscure run-of-the-mill, Italian spaghetti westerns, like Quentin Tarantino!
AS someone once said, "You pays your money and takes your chances." But there's a big difference between "Django" & "Dune".

"Django" was made the way the director wanted, without producer interference.

Also, though I don't care for it, "Django" is a major Italian film, quite expressive and innovative formally as well as philosophically in its explicit political slant on Western themes. It was hugely influential and made Franco Nero a major star. It took elements--specifically the connection between the worn-torn landscapes in Leone westerns and what was happening in Italy after WWII--and made that explicit. There's a despair, and a horror and a mythos as well as a contemporaneity in "Django" that distinguishes it from every other western that followed. It's uncompromising. It's a lot closer in style and sensibility to "The Virgin Spring" than "Gunfight at the OK Corral." It's also very well directed. In a decent looking master, these qualities should be brought to the fore.

"Dune" on the other hand, looked awful first run. It was soft and grainy and cheap looking. Also, David Lynch was not allowed to make the film he wanted. He was continually interfered with by Dino de Laurentiis, the producer, who ultimately re-edited the film against Lynch's wishes. And to my eyes, there's very little of Lynch left in that film. Even Pauline Kael, who gave it a rave review, because Lynch was on her list of directors she could only say nice things about, didn't write anything specific about why the film was good. It was all vague, glowing generalities. She said Lynch had an unique eye for detail, but when attempting to give an example, could also talk about the lap dissolves, which she spent two columns on. Yeah, the lap dissolves are great, but I'm not going to spend $50 to see them in 4K, as, other than Kenneth McMillan's performance, which only lasts for five minutes, there's not much else going on.

Anyway, that's my take, but you shouldn't pay attention to me, as we're all different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks