What's new

International Arrow Video Press Release: DUNE (1984) (4K UHD) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received a replacement set from Amazon today and am seeing the same problem. Whenever I attempt to play the 2005-produced extras on the UHD disc, I get Dolby Digital audio but NO video at all. Just a black screen. Obviously not a defective disc issue unless they're ALL defective.

So, I played around a bit and discovered that if I disable Dolby Vision on my Panasonic UB9000, which forces the player to use only HDR10 playback, the video on these extras is just fine. Can anyone else enable DV on a Panasonic UB9000/820 and let me know if they get the same result, or a different result?
Anyone?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

This may not help you much, but the extras are playing fine for me on an OPPO 203. That said, I don't have a Dolby Vision display in the house. The player is connected to a 1080p TV and a projector with HDR10.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This may not help you much, but the extras are playing fine for me on an OPPO 203. That said, I don't have a Dolby Vision display in the house. The player is connected to a 1080p TV and a projector with HDR10.
Thanks Josh. The problem appears to be related to Dolby Vision, but is it the authoring of the disc, the player, or the display that's at fault? Arrow is investigating on their end but I haven't heard back from them yet. I will say that I've never had a playback issue with my setup until this DV hiccup with Dune.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dolby Vision can be weird at times. I was watching my iTunes digital copy of Pitch Black on my FireTV 4K stick [a 1080p file] on my 4K TV, and the FireTV insisted on applying Dolby Vision grading to the film. I had to manually turn off Dolby Vision on the stick to get it to play properly.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Announcement from Koch Films:

Dear DUNE fan, maybe the news about our DUNE - Ultimate Edition has already reached you via our social media channels. We would be happy to provide you with the latest information here:

The cover of the edition is final. DUNE will appear in a noble acrylic glass box, decorated with foam and velvet paper. We apologize that you haven't heard from us for a long time. We have had a hard time finding a service provider who meets our quality standards 100% with this special edition. But we have found what we are looking for and are still working flat out on the Ultimate Edition. Unfortunately, this also means that we have to postpone the edition's release day to February 10, 2022.

BUT: All fans who have ordered an Ultimate Edition in our shop by October 10, 2021 will receive it before Christmas. Why? Our manufacturer, which we commissioned for this edition, has only limited production capacities available. That is why it will deliver to us in two batches, which enables us to send the Ultimate Edition to the first pre-orderers before Christmas.

Are you waiting for further editions due to the DUNE postponement? Due to the pending Dune Edition, you may be currently waiting for further editions that are part of this order. Of course, the postponement of the Dune Edition does not mean that you have to wait for these editions until Christmas. We will send them to you in the next few days as a partial delivery, of course free of charge. We can promise you: The additional waiting time for the DUNE - Ultimate Edition is worth it! At the same time, of course, we hope for your understanding for our decision and the delay. We are aware that your pre-orders gave us a great leap of faith, which we of course want to fulfill in the best possible way.

Please note: If you have any further questions about your order, please contact our customer service directly by email at [email protected].

Many greetings,
Koch Films

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This seems to be the acrylic cases. Interesting design. The only other set I have with an Acrylic type case is the original UK Hitchcock LE

291919_large.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This seems to be the acrylic cases. Interesting design. The only other set I have with an Acrylic type case is the original UK Hitchcock LE

291919_large.jpg

It looks like a cemetery headstone. Not sure what that has to do with this movie.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well there's THIS little known film

s-l500.jpg
;) ...

LOA is just a thin plastic slipcover/slipsheet -- not even sure what to call it, but sure is a nice item except I have to store it on my LD shelf. Looking at the Dune item, that looks to be a much thicker hardshell display case like the Hitchcock set of like those security cases many stores use as theft prevention. maybe it's not what I'm imagining though.

Just crossed my mind that folks have called those store security cases Coffins for years since they kill all slipcovers that enter, so maybe an inside joke as many people have though Headstone at first glance.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Does anyone have a problem at 45 to 47 minute mark of the film (in 4K), as some report over at bluray.com?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Does anyone have a problem at 45 to 47 minute mark of the film (in 4K), as some report over at bluray.com?

I'm not going to visit that forum. What is the alleged problem?

My copy of the Arrow disc played fine on an OPPO 203.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm not going to visit that forum. What is the alleged problem?

My copy of the Arrow disc played fine on an OPPO 203.
From what i remember, freezing and intense pixelation.
It seems the UHD disc doesn't play well at approximately those timestamps in some players.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Latest update from Koch Films:

Dear DUNE fan,

In October we had all pre-orders up to and including 10.10.2021. If you ordered our DUNE Ultimate Edition, we promised that we would send the editions before Christmas. Now we have to tell you that we unfortunately cannot keep this promise. It is with a heavy heart that we have to postpone the entire release day by one week to 02/17/22 and we cannot deliver to pre-orderers in advance, as was originally planned. In order to somehow make the Christmas delivery possible, we pulled out all the stops and planned with significantly tighter production and supply chains than is usually the case - without buffers, safety nets and double floors. This is now noticeable. Due to bottlenecks and delivery delays in the production processes, we can now be certain that the anticipation for the edition will have to last a little longer for you and for us too.

We know that we received a huge (also financial) leap of faith with your pre-order. We are very grateful to you for this. We want to return this trust to all previous pre-orders not only with a flawless edition, but also with an additional goodie that was not intended for the Ultimate Edition. Because we know how much you were looking forward to the edition just before Christmas. As a thank you for your trust and your renewed patience, we will produce an extra. You will received, an exclusive, elegant 'DUNE' aluminum sign (A4) that is not available for sale. You don't have to do anything, because we'll automatically add it to every order and ship it with your Ultimate Edition in February.

P.S: This week we'll be showing on our social media channels and in the Koch Films Shop what the DUNE Ultimate Edition will look like from the inside!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

291919_large.jpg

After 5-6 months of Delay, the Koch Media Super Mega Ultimate edition is now being shipped. 99EU and exclusively from Koch (no shipping outside EU) is certainly loaded and unique

First semi review of the set if not the actual contents -- in German so you may need a translator. Several other unboxings also are available online.
Brief reports of some EU folks who have received all seem to be pretty positive on the transfers though some are still not fans of the price or large size.

First Impressions, Breakdown, and Pictures

I'm not a big enough fan of the film to really consider $130+ to have someone trans-ship it, but I do love a unique Collector's Edition. No mention of how many units will be made, but Koch has tended to make fairly limited one time pressings of many things in the past (including The Alamo most recently). Prices on Ebay shipped to US are north of $250 and it;s not OOP yet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would pick it up if I could get it at close to retail plus international shipping, but $250+ is too rich for my blood. I have the official TV cut from an earlier Universal DVD, and the second included TV cut is a “fan edit” bootleg that’s pretty easily accessible online. I was willing to do about $150 but double that isn’t really in my budget unfortunately.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Brief reports of some EU folks who have received all seem to be pretty positive on the transfers though some are still not fans of the price or large size.

The transfer should be the same as the previously released 4K from Arrow (which licensed it from Koch).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really, really shouldn't have watched this unboxing review though I will say this may be one of the best videos I've seen of an actual product unbox. The thing is massive in size -- 11 x 9 x 3 in (28/22/7.5cm) - almost identical to the Criterion Bergman Boxset though I'm not sure it weighs as much

KochFilms Dune 4K Ultimate UnBoxing

The 2 included books (book and comic) are in German which might have to be bypassed though just the photos in the included book are impressive even without going through the process of translating the text

I wasn't worried too much about the BD or 4K disc, but the Extended Editions which were initially reported last summer as being SD instead of 1080p/720p versions. I think these may be similar if not the same of the previous (now OOP) German Blurays though I'll be interested in reading the reviews of those once people have a chance to actually watch the discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks