What's new

Dune (1984) 3hour Special Edition Widescreen Stereo (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Interesting if true. Wasn't the Japanese version of the long version 4:3? It's also PAL (I assume), so you'd need a multi-format player.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Yes, version actually done for Japanese TV by that well known English director Alan Smithee:D

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Also smells like a boot to me. The extended version that was prepared for syndication actually depended on using deleted scenes in a pan/scan format in order to give the illusion of more footage -- flipping scenes of ships right-to-left then left-to-right, etc. It sounds like someone just took the widescreen DVD master, inserted TV scenes, and cropped them via computer to make them fit.

What can I say, I'm a pessimist. I always thought it was a wasted opportunity that when MULHOLLAND DR. became a hit, the Frenchmen at StudioCanal didn't hold a conference pronto to coax Lynch into doing his own DUNE reedit. Because they seem to understand him better than the Americans running the studios.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Now this is interesting - because it has the same sort of top banner as the current TV-edit release, except in yellow, not blue. The Play.com image is too small to make out the text, but surely the first word is "Anniversary"?

Any possibility that they could have inserted actual deleted footage from the negatives, as opposed to the worst case scenario of cropping the already-cropped TV-edit footage?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The 3-hour Alan Smithee Dune available now on dvd is full screen, 2.0 stereo and cut too, a scene of the Baron tearing out the heart-plug from a victim was cut out.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this upcoming edition will be uncut as well as widescreen and 5.1. Might be the one we've been waiting for, Dune fans.:)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The TV cut has surfaced in countless overseas territories since DeLaurentiis owns the movie internationally....I guess Universal simply isn't interested in a domestic release since they control the rights here.

As much as I'm excited about the prospects of a 2.35 TV cut, it IS Sanctuary Video -- a company that in the UK issued HALLOWEEN II and III with exclusive audio commentaries (by a pair of horror experts) in *1.85*.....

The worst possibility is that it's still 4:3, but has been simply matted (chopping off the top & bottom) for 2:35....I think I'll wait until some have seen it before purchasing.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm still hoping that Universal and David Lynch will finally get a go at an officially expanded Dune, with all of the footage from the TV broadcast and any other footage that has yet to surface. I remember reading a couple of years ago about a possible SE of the film, and it had a quote from Lynch in which he said, "If there were one film I'd go back and revisit, it would be Dune, but then I don't know if I could recut it or not," given all of the problems Lynch had with Universal in the first place in their recutting the film and Lynch disavowing the TV version.

Sounds too good to be true, but then again stranger things have happened. We shall see.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Who's gonna be the lucky victim.....I mean..ehem....person to pick this up and verify for the rest of us. Based on everything I've read, seen, etc, etc, etc......this is NOT going to happen. If it does it's going to be:

"It sounds like someone just took the widescreen DVD master, inserted TV scenes, and cropped them via computer to make them fit."

But here's to hoping!!! :D

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I've never seen any of the extra scenes and would like to see it, but it looks like a boot to me. I doubt I wanna be that victim...er person to find out.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well someone's bound to review it on the net before we buy it, isn't that what usually happens? Well otherwise one of us has to make that foolhardy sacrifice for the sake of everyone on here? Hey wait...why are you all looking at me? I only started this thread. Stop it. Oh all right... [slowly takes out credit card, funeral march playing in background].:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Ooh, that looks sweet.

Speaking of Dune, have I been in a hole, or what happened to the extended version of the 2nd mini series, Children of Dune?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ehoss67
Recent bookmarks