Due to Covid-19 EU Proposal to limit streaming quality

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife said CNN reported Netflix to stop streaming HD because of heavy demand. Ohhhh crap! Fortunately she was only half right. Netflix is dropping HD in Europe. Whew! Dodged a bullet.

However, I’ve always hear that digital infrastructure is more robust in Europe. Maybe there’s still an SD bullet out there for us.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
It's going to be something of a test, with all the kids out of school and wanting to stream all day every day.

I'm working from home for a while, but most all of my work in the office was done via online applications anyway, so transferring that to home would seem to be a net-zero change.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve had inconsistent streaming quality in NYC over the past couple days, but it hasn’t been permanent. It’s been more of a case where it’s taking things a little longer to get started, but that they play fine after that. Companies here are being told by the governor that they must send at least 75% of their workforce out of the office in any given day so between the schools being closed and with that many extra people either working from home or just trying to pass the time at home, I’m not surprised. All things considered, Internet has been smoother than I expected.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
My library of 1,500 shiny discs suddenly seem a worthwhile investment!

Mark
Funny, I was sort of thinking along those lines just as I read your post; however, so far the streaming quality has been good so, right now, I'm hooked on watching "Midsomer Murders" on Amazon Prime.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Really don't think that's what we should be focusing on right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tino

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
It seems maybe in poor taste to me to turn this into a “this is why discs are better” thread.
You're right! Lets leave the stream vs physical discs for a more appropriate thread(s) which are still active.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the key point here - what I think is great - is that they’re taking steps to keep services working for as many people as possible. If you’re asking the entirety of your population to stay home indefinitely, having streaming internet work is going to help with keeping people from losing their minds entirely. It’s better that everyone should have access to content at a slightly reduced technical quality than it would be if there were widespread outages.

I’m not in Europe but I’ve turned to streaming for new purchases in the past week or so. All NY residents except for providers of essential services are required to stay home. Shipping and delivery services are considered essential but I didn’t feel right ordering a non-essential item like a disc and potentially putting someone’s life at risk to deliver it to me. We’re all relying extra on delivery services and it also feels important not to burden them with inessential packages that could clog up the system and delay more vital things from getting where they need to go on time.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
"Viewers will at first see YouTube videos in standard definition but will still be able to watch in high definition if they want, but will have to choose to do so."
Heck, in my experience that's the way Youtube operates about 80% of the time anyway! :)

Reactions: MatthewA

Worth

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It seems maybe in poor taste to me to turn this into a “this is why discs are better” thread.
Not to mention the fact that physical media is also going to be impacted by this.

Reactions: TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Researchcapt