What's new

Duct and cover (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Julie, I found the 'duck & cover' to be valid. I know that it was initially used in case of a Communist missle landing nearby, but if you weren't close by ducking and covering could save your life. The same goes for duct tape. The plastic might make the difference.

My class did a duck and cover once for an earthquake and a classroom window shattered. A piece could have easily gone flying into someone's body. I never felt that it was a control issue at all.

I've heard too that there are 'revised' instructions out for earthquakes, but they don't cover what to do if the building you are in is on its way to collapsing. Does the phrase 'get out of the house' say anything here?

Glenn

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I found the 'duck & cover' to be valid. I know that it was initially used in case of a Communist missle landing nearby, but if you weren't close by ducking and covering could save your life. The same goes for duct tape. The plastic might make the difference.
Oh please... What is the plastic going to do? Keep you from getting wet if your roof starts leaking? Knowing how half assed of a job most americans would do putting up the plastic they might as well sit on the screened in porch and enjoy the view and fumes.

Seth

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It has to be true though! In my experience, Duct tape is the wonder appliance, It can fix or mend anything!

-Cracked window? No problem, just slap some duct tape onto it.

-Lost the plastic doodad that keeps the batteries in on your remote control? No problem, Just wrap some duct tape around it.

-Broken rake handle? It ain't no big thing , just mend it back together with duct tape!

-Torn clothing? Hey, No problemo! Patch them duds with some duct tape.

-Biological attack? Duct Tape of course.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I plan on stocking up on duct tape. After all, it's like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...

I can't believe I just said that, I am a geek

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
You can wrap up the corpses in the plastic, tape 'em up, and have nice neat, sealed packages!
That'll certainly help cut down on the smell! :D

It's times like these I'm glad I'm a Canadian. Half the world doesn't even know we exist much less believe we're an actual threat to anyone! And we're the ones who revealed the extreme usefulness of duct tape! :)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It's times like these I'm glad I'm a Canadian. Half the world doesn't even know we exist much less believe we're an actual threat to anyone! And we're the ones who revealed the extreme usefulness of duct tape!
Ah but you are attached to us, So if some bomb or bio attack is launched in our more northern area, you are going down with us ;)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Knowing how half assed of a job most americans would do putting up the plastic
I don't have a link, but I did hear of a guy who decided to be extra safe. He put plastic all over the outside of his house and used a staple gun to attach the plastic to the house.

Brilliant.

The fun part will be when his homeowner's association makes him take down his $250 investment in safety and (in)sanity.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Will plastic tarp be helpful during the initial heat flash of a nuclear detonation? Or would the duct tape be better? Or should I just close my eyes and bring a pack of hot dogs along with a long fork? (Does the radiation affect the taste of mustard, by the way?)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Ah but you are attached to us, So if some bomb or bio attack is launched in our more northern area, you are going down with us.
What makes you think we won't be shooting first? We Canadians can be lean, mean fighting machines if we really want to! Heck, we'll even spit! :)

I just remembered something. Up here, a lot of homeowners install those plastic car port tents in the winter to keep the snow off the driveway. To create a shelter, all we need to do is close off one end of the tent and live in the garage! We're already protected! :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That Canadian sniper article linked to by Paul mentions the award Canadian soldiers deserved for their Balkan work.

In one engagement in the Balkans, a small group of Canadian and French forces held off several hundred Croations who were intent on massacring the civilians. Fortunately, the Canadian Lt. Col. devised a way to save the rest of the populace from further harm:

http://www.balkanpeace.org/cib/cro/cro05.shtml

I believe the Canadians had just received awards for their efforts a couple of months ago. A friend of mine has the newspaper clipping from a local newspaper. Naturally, I cannot find any information on the internet...Google search comes up with nothing.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Max, the link was about Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan but the idea is certainly the same. Unfortunatley our Government doesn't see fit to praise the accomplishments of the men they send off. The Patricia snipers did receive their US medals a few weeks ago.

I've veered off the thread.... since I live in BC, the best use for plastic and duct tape is to make a greenhouse to 'grow stuff'. ;)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I've heard covering your body in vaseline is the best protection.

Of course, the best protection is abstinence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks