What's new

DTS versus DD 5.1 (1 Viewer)

ken t

Agent
I did an A/B test of the Ice Ring scene (chapter 16) in Titan A.E. Well, the DTS version doesn't compare; it didn't have the depth or detail of the DD track. Surprising since I've read that DTS provides a "fuller" bass than DD. Well, I've heard for myself and it is not even close! DD wins by a landslide. I can hear more detail overall; especially in the surrounds which unveil details that DTS fails to reproduce.
Curious if I am doing something wrong. I chose the DTS soundtrack on the disc and it plays through the coaxial connection through my receiver. My receiver doesn't have a DTS encoder, but this shouldn't make a difference since the DVD player has the decoder, right???
I know this is an ongoing debate, but unless someone can tell me that I'm doing something wrong, the controversy is over for me: Dolby Digital over DTS is an easy call...

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
dts RULZ!
tongue.gif

Kidding of course.
Pieter
------------------
"Too late, I'm in the 40's, gotta go around the horn... it's faster!"
BoomRoom

ken t

Agent
I have a Marantz SR780 which is a Dolby Digital receiver only - no DTS. My DVD player is the Panasonic RP91 and it's connected via coaxial cable only - no other audio connection to the receiver.
I chose the DTS tracks in 'Big Trouble in Little China' and 'Titan A.E.' and they played without a hitch.
isn't the DVD player decoding the DTS bitstream and transferring that information through the coax cable? I know it is preferable to have the receiver do the digital decoding, but my receiver cannot do DTS decoding...

Lanny M

Agent
isn't the DVD player decoding the DTS bitstream and transferring that information through the coax cable?
No, it's not. The DVD's DTS decoder can only pass decoded information through its' six analog outputs...you need to buy six (three pairs) of interconnects-they will have coaxial ends-to connect between your DVD player and your receiver, and then select the analog 5.1 input.
You were probably listening in Pro-Logic. That would explain why you think DD blows DTS away. While I don't want to get too involved in that aspect of this discussion, in most cases the two will be close....
Good luck...
------------------

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The only time DTS (or Dolby Digital or PCM) can pass through optical or coaxial digital connections is when it's in it's un-decoded datastream state.
If your receiver can't decode DTS and you're only connecting via coax, then you're not listening to DTS.
The digital connection only carries raw data. It's up to the decoder at the other end to turn it into the signal ready for processing and amplification.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

JohanK

Second Unit
Ken, does your receiver have '5.1 external decoder inputs'? If so, set up the Panny to decode DTS tracks and send the decoded signals to your receiver via six analog cables.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

greg_t

Screenwriter
John,
Pick up a copy of the new JP dts repressing. It is way better than both the old JP dts and dd versions.

YANG

Screenwriter
KEN,
I have to say that your setup is not logical at all,especially when you want to experience DTS surround sound with your DTS enabled decoding player and a non DTS enabled decoding receiver.
There are some titles that requires you to use the external DTS decoder to decode the DTS digital signal into 5.1 surround sound.(THE ROCK:CRITERION COLLECTION is one of this title,cos my DVD player,a PHILIPS DVD951 cannot process the digital stream into 5.1 analogue audio.DTS titles from other studios,such as FOX and UNIVERSAL have no such problem at all)
TITAN A.E DTS rocks my ht system,DD loses out.

YANG

Screenwriter
THE ROCK:CRITERION COLLECTION is not the only one that have this kind of problem.HONGKONG's UNIVERSE LASER's DTS DVD releases also do have this problem with the player.(My player is the EURO MODEL DVD957)
You mentioned that it could be the player's issue...but the player works very fine with FOX,UNIVERSAL,DREAMWORKS,ARTISANT,CTHV(MEN IN BLACK) and DISNEY releases.
So if others works fine,my player shouldn't show "2CH DTS" on screen when i played THE ROCK,ACCIDENTAL SPY and TAXI 2.The LED indicator of my player also show only 2channels only.
The final question is...
Is there any difference between the DTS encoding process or the location of the DTS track that may have cause this common problem???

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Greg_t
Thanks for the reply!! I did so, you're right, way better!!
All things being equal, DTS rules (IMO).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Ken even if you hooked up your rig right[which you didn't] you shouldn't base a final conclusion on 1 title alone.Try Dinosaur for kicks, another "controversial" title.Many people prefer the DD on this one.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

ken t

Agent
yes, I've figured this problem out, thanks. I can't hook this up properly with my current equipment - have to wait for my next receiver...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks