What's new

DTS-ES and a 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
This has probably been asked previously, but I can't find it. I have a 5.1 system. If I am playing a DVD with both Dolby Digital and DTS-ES and used the DTS-ES track, would my amp decode it properly, or is it better to stay with Dolby Digital? In other words, will a 5.1 system properly decode a 6.1 track or is it advisable to use the 5.1 track instead?

Thanks for your advise.
Larry Hoffman

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in your boat as well.

I have searched around for the answer to this question.

All my findings say it will work fine. What will happen is that the rear speakers will make up for the lack of the 6th speaker. So bascially if something was supposed to sound off directly behind you, it would now be split between your two rear speakers.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
All DTS-ES tracks are designed to be backward-compatible with basic 5.1 systems. The sounds that would be routed to the rear center are all present in the left and right rears. (This is true regardless of whether the DTS-ES track is discrete 6.1 or matrix.)

M.

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you both for your replies.
Looks like the war has started. Lets hope it ends quickly with as little blood shed as possible.
Larry

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You're welcome, Larry. As for the rest, you need to read the announcement posted by Ron Epstein on 3/19/03 and featured prominently at the top of each forum.

M.

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Point taken Michael, though I honestly did't feel that my comment would be taken as a discussion on the war.
I won't mention it in future.

Thanks again for your help and advise.
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks