DTE:ES and DD EX

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Huber, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I've watched a few movie on my newly setup 7.1(rear mono) setup. I've noticed that DD EX has more localized sound for the rear speakers. For instance, I could depict alot more in teh rears on Star Wars then I heard in Blade Trinity.

Any truth to that, or is is just those movie selections?

What do you guys think?

2. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

A better test would be a DVD with both ES and EX mixes, as it might be a better way to compare. I think Blade Trinity has both, I know Blade II does.

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Blade Trinity has both.

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Does the receiver or processor have DTS-ES decoding? It should say on the front of the unit.

More than likely a lot has to do with how mono-ized the surround mix is. DD EX and DTS-ES matrix have a matrixed back surround which is the summed sound on the left and right discrete surround channels pulled into the back speaker(s).

If you are lucky enough to have the added benefit of Dolby ProLogic IIx (the "x" is necessary) you can simulate closely the popular Logic7 decoding from Lexicon. You get a type of stereo back surround effect rather than just mono. It can be used for all kinds of soundtracks and stereo music to various effect.

Many surround heavy movies not specifically designated as DD EX or DTS-ES will sound just as good if you force the processor into one of those modes: DD EX for Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks and DTS-ES for DTS 5.1 tracks, or even better Dolby ProLogic IIx.

Now certain discs with DTS-ES tracks have another version of DTS-ES, which has a discrete center back channel; an actual 6.1 format. Blade II and Blade Trinity, as well as The Lord Of The Rings Director's Cuts, The Haunting, and various other discs have DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks. If you have the capability and the disc has this track option, it's the track to use!

Dan

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I'll bite.

YRMV

Speaker placement, room size, room finishes, and where you sit all play in.

BTW - it's 6.1 even though you may have seven speakers. (unless you have a Lex of course)