Audio dropouts on the 950 whats up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Apr 7, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

People who are getting the outlaw 950 may want to check out the discussion over on the outlaw forum. Seems they are experiencing audio dropouts on certain discs, T2, 5TH element, gladiator and growing list.How can this be as none of the beta testers noticed any dropouts ?

On another note , does the 950 have any kind of 7 channel matrix mode for dts ? I know it has dte-es for those encoded movies and also dd-ex, dd ces etc. but I didnt see any dts matrix modes ?? am I incorrect . This was the reason why I didnt get the HK 520.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

John,

Are the dropouts being experienced by a select few or by several owners? If it is a select few, then I would say that the Outlaw 950 is having similar problems that some of the other processors have had, which is that the output of particular DVD players is confusing it. If it is more than a few, than either there is a setup problem (I don't believe that the manual is available, right?) or some unknown hardware problem has now been uncovered.

Michael

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Michael,

Well right now there are only a select few who have them and it seems that the list of movies is growing. They are trying to keep a track of what equipment (dvd players) and what connection(optical or coaxial) people are using. Somebody had 5 or 6 dropouts on 5th element, that seems very odd as this movie isnt even ex or es as far as I know. So it wouldnt seem that these are "normal" processing problem, but who knows.

Star wars pod race dropout also reported.

4. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I hope this is just an isolated few incidents.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Geez, I hope the 950's don't have the problems as the other receivers with CD's. I hop they don't chop-off the beginning of a song or track when using a digital connection from a DVD or CD player.

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Viewing the Outlaw site, I counted three people who have reported dropouts.

7. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Bob, I think the concern was that three is also a very high percentage of those who have posted that they have received the 950.

Like I said, hopefully this is isolated to special circumstances, or we will all be waiting a while longer.

-- John

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Never mind....

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

someone oughta take note of the layer change per disc so the tester can rule out an audio drop-out. Isn't there a webpage that has a list of the layer changes and times?

10. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

There is no one posting that they got their e-mail notification. This led some at the Outlaw forum to infer that they have stopped sending new notifications and also stopped shipping new units. There has not been any official statement regarding this.

11. Will

Will Guest

In December, the Outlaws said:

12. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I saw this coming, and it should realy be expected. Especialy from a newbie company such as Outlaw. I can think of a few well established audio hardware makers that have seen 4 or more software/eprom updates before the product is stable.

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John T- To one of your original questions: a mode on the 950 to "expand" DTS 5.1 discs to 6.1 or 7.1.
    I believe that DTS NEO:6 Cinema is what you (and I! [​IMG] ) are looking for. "Additionally, this mode can produce the rear surround info from a 5.1 source."
    That's probably why there's no "DTS CR-C" mode.

14. Will

Will Guest

Any idea when Outlaw will be sending us the April newsletter?

15. Will

Will Guest

accidental double post

16. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Hey folks,

For what it's worth, Outlaw certainly not the only company experiencing audio dropouts. The latest Home Theater Mag mentions the Integra 8.2 is experiencing the same problems and quotes that other manufacturers and models may be having similar issues. Supposedly Dolby, Onkyo (Integra's parent) and other manufacturers and the movie studio (disc manufacturer) "are working together to prevent a similar problem from recurring.". At least Outlaw has stopped shipping to see if the bugs can be worked out... the article makes it sound like Integras are shipping regardless, and your tough out of luck if you happen to have the unit and the discs in question: Atlantis, Pearl Harbor, and Jurassic Park III (didn't care for any of those movies anyway).

17. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

It is true there have been cases of drop-outs with other equipment, however, it is with 4 certain DVDs and this probelem has been attributed to a change in the encoding process of the disc. The Outlaw drop-outs seem to be with different DVDs and not related.

18. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Frank,

Your right. I was under the impression that the 950 prblems were the same as Onkyo/Integras. It seems that people have had dropouts on disk that don't normally produce dropouts like Gladiator, 5Th Element(regular not SE), T2 SE, Star Wars Episode I and some others. I thought it was the same problem as the JP3,Pearl Harbor and Atlantis, but from reading the post it appears to be different.

19. Will

Will Guest

See post 15 above for Latest News from the Outlaws: Holidays 2001 Edition which perhaps (?) describes the same problem the latest Home Theater Mag according to Stephen, mentioned the Integra/Onkyo's have. Some audio magazines have slightly dated information, due to the magazine's articles being written a few months prior to publication, which if true for the Home Theater Mag might (?) mean that information was known early this year or late last year. Which is about when the Outlaw's Holiday 2001 email was sent. I'm just speculating and have no inside info.

20. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Legairre & Frank,

You are correct, the 950 drop out issue is a different one than others are facing (JP3, PH & Atlantis). In fact, that issue is at least partially responsible for the 950 not shipping before the end of 2001 ... it was first reported when those three discs came out at end of November (or was it early December?) and the 950 was delayed while Cirrus made sure they wouldn't get bit by the same EX Flag issue.

Fwiw, Outlaw's Model 1050 receiver can suffer from that EX Flag bug, but there's a very easy work around for the 1050 owners ... configure the 1050 to think there's a rear-center speaker, even if you don't have one installed.