What's new

Driving, Driving, and more driving.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I used ot see alot of weird driving stunts when I drove alot more than I do now a few years ago... and I was wondering, What's the strangest thing you've ever seen while driving?

This dosn't really count, but it did just happen today.

I was coming up a road about 2 blocks away from my house. It was a 4 way road crossing that looked like this +. As far as I can remember, it was good to stop for the turn, I was coming from the left of the plus sign, there where a bunch of cars to my left, and a bunch in front of me. I have the right of way.

As I pull up to stop for the turn, I hear a honk to my left, look and don't see much of anything to be worried about, so I continue to slow down. Then I see something in my rearview mirror. I'm blocking the lane this lady needs to get into, and I see her come behind me and try to squeeze her way in.

My theory is that she was waiting to go straight, someone behind her got impatient and honked, and then she went as I was waiting for my turn. Not only did I have to pull up, but it made me nervous enough to think she, or I almost caused an accident that I went back to that spot ten minutes later just to check and see if everything was OK. Thankfully, no police cars, no sirens, no activity. Just another weird bit of driving activity to add to the list.

Anyone else see anything strange or unsual on the road? This could include having to wait for Deer to cross, to a full blown car chase. Or, worse yet, tailgating tractor trailers at 75mph...

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Well, the stupidest thing I've seen was a person driving down the highway in reverse because they had missed their exit.

Now for the weirdest, I wasn't doing the driving but in the car. When my father plowed into a deer in his SUV going about 80, the deer's fur was embedded into the front of the car (what was left of it), but there was no blood to be found anywhere on it.

EDIT: come to think about it, the weird part is not the lack of blood, but when I called my mom to hell her I wasn't going to be making it for dinner and why, the first thing she asked was: "is the deer ok?" No questions about my or my father's well being.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
THat deer story reminded me of something else. I was turning up an entrance to the Highway, and a pigeon of all things, clipped the top of my antenna. THat bird must have had a sore day after that :).

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I've been witness to 2 high speed chases. The 1st one happened while traveling down Colfax Ave here in Denver and I'm in the left most lane (nearest the center divider) when I catch a blur go by on my left which turned out to be a kid on a crotch rocket doing at least 100mph in a 35mph zone. He was being chased by the State Patrol and had gone into on coming taffic to get around me. Not sure how that one ended.

The 2nd, and more bizarre one, happened downtown here. My wife and I had just eaten dinner and were sitting in the car getting ready to leave the parking lot when we look up and see a high speed chase coming down the road straight at us, but still a block away. No sooner did we notice it, than the vehichle being chased flips into the wide, grassy median. It must have rolled 3-4 times kicking up tons of dust and throwing bodies everywhere. The cops where on them very quick, guns drawn, screaming, the whole 9 yards. I thought for sure there had to be some casualities, but when I read about it the paper the next day, no one had died. I guess there had been 7 people in the car and most of them had been thrown. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Also saw a hot air balloon land right next to the road I was on. The thing went right over my head fairly low. Caught a cool view of it through the sun roof.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I saw someone actually use a turn signal the other day; it startled me so much that I dropped my cigarette & spilled my coffee. While I was trying to get the burning cigarette out of my crotch and make a right turn, some little old lady and her toy poodle had the nerve to try to cross the street that I was turning into. Man, I never would have thought an old lady would cuss and flip me off like that! Anyway, by then, I had found what was left of the burning butt (HA!) so I threw it at her as I went by.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed on the public streets.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I saw a bald (by choice)/young guy (in rush hour traffic), shaving the "5 o'clock" shadow off the top of his head with an electric razor.

I told this bizarre story to a co-worker and he began to tell me how he once saw a guy (on the highway) practicing his trumpet, with the sheet music spread over the dashboard! :eek: His story won. :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Not deer (well, we do get alot of that around here)... but I saw a mother duck and her ducklings stranded in the middle of the expressway during morning rush hour. It was sad to see her trying to find a chance to get across. I was tempted to stop and help but, I would've caused an accident for sure... or been road kill myself.

It's sights like that that really make you want to start riding a bike to work.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I once saw someone move between the upper and lower level of the GW bridge.

--
H

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I had a cow hit me. I was driving down a gravel road at night and out of the blue this heifer runs out and hits the side of my front fender. After the initial shock wore off I looked around and the cow is gone but there is a dent in the fender and some evidence that the cow had the s*** knocked out of it.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I once had a taxi driver who had an open book placed on the steering wheel. At red lights he'd read it (well, it looked like only at red lights).

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I was driving down the Mass Pike ( RT 90 ) or as I like to call it the MASS PIKE OF DEATH.

I was almost to My Exit when I looked over and I saw a woman CROCHE'ING OR KNITTING. What ever it was she had the 2 needles up on the stearing wheel making a sweater or something.

I took one look at that and I put down my coffee,Told my dad on the phone I would have to call him back so we can to do this crossword puzzle some other time.

I'm only kidding about the crossword Puzzle. The Croche'ing was true

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I once saw a guy driving on the 210 (at full freeway speed)in Pasadena with his cell phone in one hand and gesturing emphatically with the other. :eek:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
One of my favorites was coming up on a car going down the highway, a little under the speed limit. He had New Jersey plates and his left turn signal was on, for no reason. Well, unless that's the Jersey signal for, "Watch out I have a Texas road map spread over the steering wheel and I'm lost." :)

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
I saw several incidents this weekend that remind me to never underestimate the persistence of stupid people. The Clemson Sports Car Club holds autocrosses in empty parking lots on campus roughly once a month. This has beeen going on for over 35 years and is done in cooperation with the University police department and parking services office. There are signs and barricades at each entrance to the lots we use, indicating that the lot is reserved for an event. There is a uniformed officer of the University PD on hand, along with his fully-marked lightbar-wearing patrol car.

Most people would see this and understand that something's going on, and that if they don't already know what it is, they're not part of it and should either turn around and drive away or park outside the barriers and watch. Some folks just aren't quite that bright.

One young lady drove past three barricades (one at the bottom of the hill and two others up top arranged so that she had to zig-zag around them) and onto the lot. She stopped along the edge of the lot and a few people from the club started walking in her direction. As we got to within about 15 feet of her car, she drove around the perimeter of the lot, dodging around bright orange traffic cones as if it were a normal thing. She completed nearly a full lap of the lot and pulled into a parking space near where the racers had their paddock and grid set up. The club president and the policeman walked up to her car to find her on her cellphone, calling the CUPD to ask if the lot was really closed. There were a few other idiots out to ruin people's fun, but she was by far the worst.

Alan M

Second Unit
This happened to me when I was much younger(about 30 years ago).The only dumb driver in this story is me.

I was driving to work one morning and was very late.As I was driving through the Beverly hills area,I came up on an old beat up thunderbird.It was a rag top model and the rear window was yellowed and ripped up.The speed limit was 35 and this old tbird was doing about 25.I could see an old lady(grey hair in a bun)driving.I honked my horn for her to speed up(single lane road),and she ignored me and kept creeping along.

When the road widened to 2 lanes,I sped up to pass the tbird.Much to my chagrin,as I pulled even with the tbird,was promptly flipped off by none other then Katherine Hepburn.
Talk about feeling 2 feet tall:D

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Wildest thing?
I was driving my Yukon I-95 north from miami. No cars really on the road, it's day time. A small car is coming up from behind. It slows down when it gets near me. I keep looking back in the rear view and the passenger is rubbing and kissing the drivers chest.All of a sudden I see the drivers right leg pop up and the passengers head goes down. I was like holy shit!!! I slow a little knowing what was going on and they slow down...Hmmmm....;) Finally after about 10 minutes of riding behind me I see the driver convulsing...I wonder why...:rolleyes:I see the passengers head pop back up and wipes her mouth....Next thing I know they pass me,smile and keep going....IT WAS 2 WOMEN....:D Oh how I wanted to wake my sleeping wife...:b

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Alan M

This happened to me when I was much younger(about 30 years ago).The only dumb driver in this story is me.

I was driving to work one morning and was very late.As I was driving through the Beverly hills area,I came up on an old beat up thunderbird.It was a rag top model and the rear window was yellowed and ripped up.The speed limit was 35 and this old tbird was doing about 25.I could see an old lady(grey hair in a bun)driving.I honked my horn for her to speed up(single lane road),and she ignored me and kept creeping along.

When the road widened to 2 lanes,I sped up to pass the tbird.Much to my chagrin,as I pulled even with the tbird,was promptly flipped off by none other then Katherine Hepburn.
Talk about feeling 2 feet tall:D

Classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks