What's new

Driver recommendations for 3.89Ft3 sealed sub (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
You mentioned that you are usng a Parts Expess 150-watt late amp...?

If this is the amp you plan to use, I belive there is a 5 to 6-db boost built into it at 30 or 35hz....

I don't know how long ago you purchased it, but a quick call to PE should clear up exactly what you have.
If your not using this 150-watt amp, than the point is moot...

Geoff

Gary.Blevins

Agent
I'll give it a look when I get home to see the PN#. What is the significance of the boost?

By the way, have you experienced any port noise with subs? I would like to keep the port length down, but this will lead to a higher than optimal (per WinISD) air velocity. I have heard that, due to the volume of sound delivered, that most port noise cannot even be heard in a sub.

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Now I am getting confused!

What IS the recommended max port velocity? I have seen it vary from 17 m/s (per WinISD) to 35 m/s.

Needless to say, 35 m/s would make my life MUCH easier.

Thanks,

Gary

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
With a wide-flared port, such as that sold by Parts Express...

...you can probably get away with up to 35m/s without noticeable noise especially if it's not right next to you and the port is mounted on the back/bottom. These are the ones SVS uses, and you don't hear many noise complaints even at high levels. I used one with my 5ft^3 Shiva EBS with no issues.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Hey Jack,
That was the one I was looking at. The is rather close (the end table between the couch and loveseat), but the port will be firing down into the carpet.

Thanks,

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks