Drive-Away Dolls (2024)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Drive-Away Dolls (2023)

Genre: Crime, Comedy

Director: Ethan Coen

Cast: Margaret Qualley, Geraldine Viswanathan, Beanie Feldstein, Colman Domingo, Pedro Pascal, Matt Damon, Bill Camp, Joey Slotnick, C.J. Wilson, Connie Jackson

Release: 2023-09-22

Plot: A Russ Meyer-inspired action sex comedy centered on a party girl who takes a trip from Philadelphia to Tallahassee with her buttoned-down friend. As they cruise the bars they find themselves mixed up in a series of misadventures involving a severed head in a hatbox, a bitter ex-girlfriend, a mystery briefcase, and an evil senator.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
“I don’t believe in love. I know bards and troubadours are high on it, but its not relevant to the 20th century lesbian.” is the tagline.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Synopsis:

This comedy caper follows Jamie, an uninhibited free spirit bemoaning yet another breakup with a girlfriend, and her demure friend Marian who desperately needs to loosen up. In search of a fresh start, the two embark on an impromptu road trip to Tallahassee, but things quickly go awry when they cross paths with a group of inept criminals along the way.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is coming out on Thursday and there are no reviews yet as of this writing. That feels weird to me. You would think a film like this could benefit from having reviews published early to help build buzz. It seems that usually reviews are embargoed for a long time if the studio believes the movie is bad. I don't want to think that is the case with this movie, but what else are we supposed to think?

Also, it doesn't seem like the film is being marketed very extensively. The last time I saw a trailer for this in a theater was last summer when it was still scheduled for September. I know Alex posted a new one earlier this month, but this thread is the only place I was exposed to it. Focus decided to move the film so that the stars could do press, but it doesn't seem like there has been very much coverage now.

Ethan Coen is (along with Joel) a highly respected Academy Award-winning director. I know Ethan made this one alone, but he is still one of the Coen Brothers. It just seems very bizarre to me that this film appears to be entering release rather quietly given his reputation and existing fanbase.

I really hope this is good.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is coming out on Thursday and there are no reviews yet as of this writing. That feels weird to me. You would think a film like this could benefit from having reviews published early to help build buzz. It seems that usually reviews are embargoed for a long time if the studio believes the movie is bad. I don't want to think that is the case with this movie, but what else are we supposed to think?
Currently 69% and falling on RT.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Who is her mother?
Andie MacDowell.

Currently 69% and falling on RT.
It is still in flux while more reviews are being added. Currently, it's at 72% with an average critics rating of 6.4 out of 10. For me, it's not about the exact number of the score, but what I'm seeing is good enough for me to go. If it was getting utterly roasted like Madame Web or Argyle, I might have reconsidered. But since the reviews do not appear to be that negative, I'm happy to trust Ethan Coen's name on this. The cast is good too.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks