What's new

Dream Theater on CBS morning show (Sept.14) (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this should be interesting to see. I wonder what they'll play?

I wonder what demographic CBS is trying to score with?

In any case, it's always good to see great prog bands like DT getting mainstream exposure.

Oops, I almost forgot...Hell Yeah!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
This almost seems like a sick joke...can it be true?
Figuring out what to play will be a big challenge. I assume they won't be able to do A Change of Seasons in its entirety :).
I have a feeling they will play something safe such as The Spirit Carries On (Ange, I know it's your fav! ;))

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Oh, goodness, please ANYTHING but "The Spirit Carries On."

They're only going to have something like 3-4 minutes; they will have to pick a small section of something. And of course it will likely be from the new album. Part of "About to Crash?" But I would guess that we're going to hear "Solitary Shell."

NP: A Decade of Steely Dan

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Stop it. I don't believe it. What next, Spock's Beard on Letterman? A Caravan reunion on the Oprah Winfrey show? Regis introducing Opeth?
This will be funny... and weird. I also guessed Solitary Shell as their pick... which is a great song! Tell me that keyboard part doesn't sound like Rick Wakeman.
:emoji_thumbsup:
NP: Pat Metheny, Trio 99->00

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think they would play TSCO only if they ("they" meaning Elektra or CBS) wanted DT to do some kind of tie-in to the 9/11 memorial. Of course, they'd have to change the lyrics somewhat, but that's been done before.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
A few years ago "Yes" was on Regis and Kathy Lee. I put "Yes" in quotes because it was really just Howe, Squire, and Bruford (!) promoting the dreadful Symphonic Music of Yes cd that was done.

They did a version of Roundabout (I think) with Howe singing, and it was awful.

I have it on tape, but I'm afraid to dig it out.

But, prog in the early morning... not a bad way to wake up.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I'd be dissapointed if they play their most radio friendly songs such as Misunderstood or Solitary Shell. I say they play a shortened version of Glass Prison or they could do a medley of different songs from the album.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'd be dissapointed if they play their most radio friendly songs such as Misunderstood or Solitary Shell. I say they play a shortened version of Glass Prison or they could do a medley of different songs from the album.
Well, considering the fact that the point of a promotional TV appearance is to increase awareness of the band and sell records, I'd say one of the radio-friendly bits is pretty much a lock.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, they absolutely should do a pop song. It's every much as part of their sound as the crazy complex stuff.

I think it would be great if people hear Solitary Shell and say, "Oh, what a nice song. I'll check them out." Then they pick up 6 Degrees, Glass Prison rumbled out of their stereos, and they cry, "Dear God, what have I bought!"

An "interesting" case of Howe singing is on his Not Necessarily Acoustic album, where he does excerpts of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Ugh.

NP: Jethro Tull, Living With The Past

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Steve Howe's singing is agony to listen to. He may be one of the top five greatest guitarists ever, but whoever told him he could sing lead vocals should really be slapped silly.

I wouldn't exactly characterize "Solitary Shell" as a "pop" song, but it is certainly the most accessible part of Six Degrees. It also is some of the best songwriting on the whole album, and a great old-school tribute to "And You And I". I actually find it very refreshing that DT has matured enough that not every measure of every song on the album has to be in 17/8 time with blistering solos and an impossible rhythm section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks