What's new

downfiring sub on it's side? (pic) (1 Viewer)

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to build a 120L downfiring sub w/ 3.5-4" of space between the bottom floor but I am concerned w/ droop/sag of the woofer over time. I decided to go side firing but do not know how to protect it. I do not like the fabric look and do not want to leave the driver exposed (kids/dogs/drunks)

I have seen downfiring subs that have a piece of wood mounted on the bottom of the legs. Could I do some thing like that for a side fire? I was thinking I could use 4-6 standoffs 3.5-4" long then mount a piece of wood to the standoffs. I would have a piece of wood protecting the woofer from direct damage. what do you all think?

I can not direct link yet so cutnpaste and put www in front

dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=10810

Also, if you can tell from this pic I am playing w/ the idea of rubber isolating a top piece of wood so I can use this as a end table w/o my jackncoke rattling off the side.

thanks

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yeap you can use a 'bottom' plate for a side firing woofer. Might just be easier to use a car audio grill.

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
after thinking about is some more, I might just put the plate a couple inches smaller all the way around and turn it back sq. instead of diamond. or just make a cover.

is sag even an issue if i design the sub so I am 2mm or so shy of the max excursion?

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
thanks. for the link.
I have decided to stick w/ the front firing just so I do not have to worry about. I am going to use the shiva or titanic ii. I know people say they are ok in df. but I think I will play it safe and if i ever want to redo my box I can later.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks