downfiring sub on it's side? (pic)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by perry web, Jan 24, 2004.

1. perry web

perry web Stunt Coordinator

I was going to build a 120L downfiring sub w/ 3.5-4" of space between the bottom floor but I am concerned w/ droop/sag of the woofer over time. I decided to go side firing but do not know how to protect it. I do not like the fabric look and do not want to leave the driver exposed (kids/dogs/drunks)

I have seen downfiring subs that have a piece of wood mounted on the bottom of the legs. Could I do some thing like that for a side fire? I was thinking I could use 4-6 standoffs 3.5-4" long then mount a piece of wood to the standoffs. I would have a piece of wood protecting the woofer from direct damage. what do you all think?

I can not direct link yet so cutnpaste and put www in front

dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=10810

Also, if you can tell from this pic I am playing w/ the idea of rubber isolating a top piece of wood so I can use this as a end table w/o my jackncoke rattling off the side.

thanks

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Yeap you can use a 'bottom' plate for a side firing woofer. Might just be easier to use a car audio grill.

3. perry web

after thinking about is some more, I might just put the plate a couple inches smaller all the way around and turn it back sq. instead of diamond. or just make a cover.

is sag even an issue if i design the sub so I am 2mm or so shy of the max excursion?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. perry web

thanks. for the link.
    I have decided to stick w/ the front firing just so I do not have to worry about. I am going to use the shiva or titanic ii. I know people say they are ok in df. but I think I will play it safe and if i ever want to redo my box I can later.

thanks