What's new

sub placement- too close to tv? (pics) (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i'm going to be running a 15" titanic in a home made enclosure. I'm very tight on space, so I was considering stacking the tv directly on top of the subwoofer enclosure. I've taken random subwoofers and waved them around near tv's and i've seen the effects, and i'm wondering if the sub would be too close to the tv to do what i want to.

its going in the bedroom at my college house, i have a pretty big room, but space is still tight.

this is a picture of the futon directly across the room from where all the equipment will be placed.

the next picture is an angle shot of the area i'm going to use. my camera sucks so thats the only way i could fit everything in on one shot.

now, what i want to do is put one tower all the way against the right wall, and then another tower in between the entrance and the walk in closet. then back on the right side, next to the tower, i want to put the cable box, dvd player, receiver, ps2, and the subwoofer amplifier, and i plan to just build a simple little rack for that or put it right on the floor. then to the left of that, i want to built about a 6 cf enclosure, ported, downfiring, so it'll probably come up about half way up the height of the walk in closet door. I want to place the tv directly on top of the box, to both give it some height and not have to worry about killing what little space i have.

if that's too close for the subwoofer and tv to be together, i was thinking i could built the subwoofer enclosure where the left tower would be, and then put the left tower where the sub box would have been.

if i confused you with anything let me know and i'll try and explain it better.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
Bottom line: Any large magnet near a CRT is going to cause interference unless it has good shielding. If either your sub or yout main speakers are not shielded, then putting your TV (which looks like a ~27" CRT) on the unshielded speaker will probably be a problem. Subs cause more issues because the magnets in subs are larger than in other drivers - but any unshielded speaker magnet can cause a problem.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i dont believe the dayton subwoofer is shielded, but all the other drivers im using are shielded. how far away from the tv should i have the sub?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

unless you find someone with the exact same sub and TV you can't really know for certain. it varies with the magnet strength in the sub, the exact location of the magnet relative to the CRT, the presence of other nearby speakers (they can actually provide a little bit of "shielding"), etc., etc.. You don't really know until you test it out yourself.

If the Dayton is NOT shielded you will NOT be able to put a TV directly on it. You'll probably need at least 2 feet, if not more, on the sides of the CRT and probably more than that above or below it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks