What's new

Don't forget the library! (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have been using my Library for the last couple of years. The didn't always have the biggest selection but, they're free, and you get to keep the disc longer. I was able to get many T.V. sets there such as the Sopranos and Band of Brothers (they let those go out for three weeks) Plus my Library (for the time being) is very Pro-OAR. I guess since they are not in for Profit, they are more interested in providing the DVDs in the correct presentation. They are expanding their DVD library and getting more and more copies of new release stuff (they even put out DVDs many days before the street date). Yes, sometimes you have to wait for a title, but I try to reserve everything I'm interested in way early (I think I was the first to get Sopranos Season 3. Discs were spotless, and I should be first on the list if the ever get The Sheild) A great resource.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Virginia Beach is building up a respectable library of DVDs. And it's free...

7 days for entertainment DVDs (movies, TV shows).

21 days for educational/documentary type discs.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
It seems odd that a library wouldn't have control over what they order, but I don't know their method. I always order OAR, but sometimes the company I get them from sends the wrong one. By the time it hits our shelves it has been stamped and marked, etc., and we can't send it back. Lately I've been working with the central library to stop them before they're processed. The only MAR titles on our shelves get there by accident. Libraries of all institutions should be most concerned with preseving artistic intent. Any library that purposely orders MAR titles is going against everything they should stand for.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I've checked up on my local library, it's only 2 days for entertainment DVDs, but still free, so it's ok.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
You guys are lucky that your libraries have such generous lending policies for their DVDs. My system (Los Angeles) gives you only two day with a DVD and after that you start paying a $.25/day fine.

Actually, two days isn't bad when you are renting a movie, but I almost lost my mind recently when I rented the three disks that make up the Brideshead Revisited release. I rented them one right after the other over six days and let me tell you -- 2-4 hours a night of DVD watching for six nights in a row is a lot of time. Especially after a long day at work, a commute home, and when you consider that most of us do have regular television that we watch during the week as well. Still, I was like a junkie with those disks -- couldn't wait to continue on where I had left off the night before. But I would have killed to have been allowed to borrow them for even 4 days instead of two. Count your blessings ...

Cheers,

Deborah

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

My thoughts exactly and that is basically what I said to them in their email. It would be like putting books on the shelves with pages ripped out of them. What I notice is that a few libraries in the system always stock widescreen while others always stock full screen. Which leads me to believe that they have some sort of choice in the matter. The problem is, there are more libraries (for whatever reason) getting in the full screen versions of the films.

-Eric

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Living in Asheville, I shudder to think what few titles (if any) would be available. The closest library is next to a church, so I'm sure the titles would be censored to G, PG, or be restricted to arts & crafts, nature, or Christian titles. It's times like this that I miss living in a big city.

Yeah, I know, I'm making assumptions...but believe me, this is truly the land that time forgot. For instance: if a DVD is released in both Full & Widescreen, you CANNOT find the widescreen version available to rent here. To quote a rental clerk: "People just ain't liking them-there black bars on their TVs." To argue would be futile. :frowning:

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Los Angeles, as mentioned by Deborah, is kind of a pain with the two day limit. I have seen many Criterion titles at my local branch, so I've been meaning to check them out.

Mike Meeks

Auditioning
I've been requesting titles online from the Cleveland area since last summer. Overall its been very good. When your movie has arrived at the pre-selected library branch, they will send you a notice via email and postal.

The downside is if the title you want happens to be a very popular movie,ie LOTR, your put on a "Hold" list. Meaning, if there is 1000 requests before you, your going to have a very long wait. :) But most of the titles I've requested, I've received fairly quick. "Oceans 11" was only "5 holds."

Loan Terms -

5 - DVD's maximum
7 - day loan

Public Library - Thumbs Up!

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
Not only does my hometown library system (Columbus Metropolitan Library and its branches) have a selection of thousands of DVDs, but new ones arrive relatively quickly (one or two months after release to let Blockbuster and Hollywood Video get some money) and I can reserve up to 5 titles online!!! There's another library system close by that gets new titles even quicker, they had Amelie within a month of its release. I NEVER rent, thanks to the library!
I started doing this, but the DVDs were always in terrible shape. I got two different copies of Sopranos Season 1 and between the two of them I still could not play all the episodes. The cases were so beat up that the discs just floated around inside and the whole thing was held together by rubber bands. Same thing happened with the X-Files seasons I got.

I loved being able to reserve stuff over the web, but if I'm not going to be able to watch the whole thing, then what's the point? I suppose newer releases that haven't circulated as much would be better, but it was too frustrating to me.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Out of all the DVDs that I've borrowed, only a few have had "defects" like that.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Damage and theft are a problem for us, but our Friends of the Library group bought us a disc repair unit to the tune of about $8000, so that helps with the damaged discs. We do still get broken and severely scratched discs that can't be fixed. I think the machine was a waste of money, but nobody asked me beforehand.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Cincinnati Public has a really decent selection of titles. You can get them for two days for feature films and seven days for nonfiction (tv shows(?), concerts, documentaries) with one renewal. They have been known to stock some MAR titles (ugh) but recently have been good about getting OAR. The down-sides are that you can't reserve feature films and fines are $2 a day. Since borrowing privileges are suspended at $10, one day late with five films can nail you. Trust me. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks