What's new

Don Adams, RIP (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
"Would you believe....."

Interesting tidbit from ABCNews.com:

"Get Smart" twice won the Emmy for best comedy series with three Emmys for Adams as comedy actor.

RIP - hopefully we will see a series resurrection on TVLand, Nick at Nite, etc...

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Oh man... sad news. I was a huge fan of Get Smart as a kid.

I'll have to dig out the autographed 8x10 that my aunt and uncle got for me back in 1980 at a computer show. He was the spokesperson for some computer company back then but I don't recall which.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I was in second grade when Get Smart premiered on Nick at Night (this was way before TV Land) and I remember my mom telling me about it because she watched the show when she was a kid (either her or her sisters) and thought I'd like it. Plus I had been a fan of Inspector Gadget. Well, needless to say, I tuned in and fell in love with it in about two seconds. I loved the show, loved the opening, and pretty much became obsessed with it. I bought The Get Smart Handbook by Joey Green (I remember, at the Books-a-Million at Sawgrass Mills) and it had lists of every gadget, password, character, etc.

Then with the Internet, I discovered wouldyoubelieve.com and even more info about the making of the show. And after that, I discovered Sledge Hammer which was described by creator Alan Spencer as "Get Smart meets Dirty Harry." I only hope that, if they finally make the Steve Carell movie, I can do my part as a production assistant. (I'm a film school grad who lives in LA. It's possible.)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
So sorry to hear this. I had no idea he was a Marine Drill Instructor. I wonder if boot camp went like this:

"OK you maggots, you're going to drop and give me five hundred pushups!"

Platoon in unison: "We find that very hard to believe, sir!"

"Would you believe 100 pushups?..... How about two sit-ups and a jumping jack?"

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

I've been a fan of all three of these since childhood. This is certainly a sad day. :frowning:

The article mentioned "Would you believe?" and "Sorry about that cheif." I was quite fond of "Missed it by that much." It makes me crack a smile even as I type it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
As a Marine, he survived the battle of Guadalcanal only to all but die due to a wasting disease. He got over that and went into comedy on return to civilian life.....kind of like the whole cast of Hogan's Heros.

Semper Fi Don.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
As a 19 year old, not many would think that I would be at the age to enjoy or frankly even know what Get Smart was. But I am in the minority - it is in my Top 10, a genuine original. Agent 86, in his hilarious exploits with his gorgeous soon to be wife Agent 99, and their never-ending adventures. No one could do this series like Don Adams, he was a one of a kind guy.

Let's hope a DVD set comes out post-haste of some sorts to coincide with the TV-Movie "Get Smart Again," the ill-lived Andy Dick show and Steve Carell's version.

Ryan

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I will sure miss Don Adams--he was the person that made Get Smart such a funny show.

And I will definitely miss all those witty remarks from that show, things like "...And loving it!" and "Missed it by that much." :frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Man, this year....

Jimmy Doohan, Bob denver and now Don Adams, (and I'm sure others) My childhood Tv pals. We miss you all. God bless.

Don, RIP.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Sad news indeed.

I bought Get Smart Again on DVD a few months ago at Wal-Mart in a cardboard slip for $3, I'm watching it right now...And Loving it!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Carson and Adams in the same year?? Not right.

Don Adams helped define one of the most original parodies (how's that for an oxymoron) ever to come on TV. Buck Henry and Mel Brooks may have written the scripts, but Adams' delivery and comic timing took it to a whole new level.

My favorites:

The craw (not the Claw, the Craw!)
Harry Hoo
Leadside
Prisoner of Zenda spoof

and the list goes on and on...

Anybody else remember "Don Adams' Screen Test"?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I do! I especially remember a moment when one of the contestants was supposed to pull off his shoe in a scene. He did it, held it to his face and said, in a pitch-perfect imitation of Don Adams, "Hello, Chief? It's Max."

They practically had to administer oxygen to Adams because he was laughing so hard.

Good memories. Thanks, Don. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
As a kid, back when our family had cable, I remember Nick-at-Nite had a slew of shows which just irritated the hell out of, such as Dragnet, My Three Sons, etc. However, Get Smart was truly a gem and such a sensational comedy, it makes me so upset to hear of Mr. Adams' passing. RiP. (sad robot)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I remember one night, I would have been about five or six, and I was at my mother's work, and bored like you wouldn't believe. She said that there was a funny show about to start on TV, and I should watch it. And I watched it, and this guy had a phone in his shoe, and I watched it and laughed and it was the greatest show ever. I had a couple of friends who would play Get Smart with me at lunchtime. I can't describe how much I loved the show. I also loved Inspector Gadget, although it wasn't until someone told me that I realised the voice of Gadget was the same guy.

I saw some reruns of the show about five years ago, and still loved every minute of it. It was a great show, thanks to a wonderful comic performance. It's sad to think he is no longer with us.

Rest In Peace, Mr Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks