Domain registration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny R, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Anybody have any recomendations/horror stories to tell about internet domain registration? Site like Register.com charge $35 per year for a .com address, while others charge less than $10.

Since my nameservers will likely be elsewhere, does it matter which company I register with?

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Do NOT register with Verisign, I repeat, do NOT register with Verisign. Reasons:

1. Zero customer support, registered a .name domain with them, but I can never receive mail, it's been 9 months since I first file my non working report (and verified by them), but nothing. I have email and talked to their support numerous times, but apparently there's nothing they can do (other than "it has been escalated to engineering", it's been there for 8 months). I have even contacted ICANN, and they have also verified that it is a problem with the registrar, it looks like my domain will be expired before it ever even works.

2. Security, I laughed whenever I see sites that show the Verisign logo to indicate how secure they are. When I logged in my account at Verisign, unlike any even semi respectible e-commerce sites, they display everything, password, credit card number in detail, none of the ***** stuff. To get support, you have to give them the password and then they just sit on it for months and months.