What's new

Dolly Parton Show ever on DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I hope so much that The Dolly parton show from 1988 will be released on DVD but I wonder if anyone knows anything about this?? Please keep in touch

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I love Dolly ! However, I doubt that you will ever see either of her variety shows on DVD because of music rights. Her much-hyped 80's show was simply called Dolly. She also had done another low-budget show in the 70's which I think would be even less likely to show up on DVD because of it being so much lesser-known.

If any of Dolly's TV specials make it to DVD I'd bet on it being Dolly In London, her early-80's HBO concert special. Now that deserves to see the light of day again !

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

Yes I would also LOVE to see Dolly in London on DVD as well and I hope also that Kenny & Dolly Real Love also comes to DVD soon

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
since Dolly writes most of her stuff, would it be too hard to get a "Dolly" release if she participated? I mean, I don't think she would suddenly be "well, I'm doing commentaries on this... but you can't use I Will Always Love You!!!!"

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I was the only one who remembered this! I remember watching the Dolly Parton show back in the 70s. I would love to see this come out on dvd but it is probably unlikely unless Dolly gets involved herself. I would also like to see the Barbara Mandrell Show on dvd. I thought it was so funny when she dressed up like Dolly!!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't recall how much of a variety of music Dolly performed on the 80's show. If most of it was her music then perhaps clearances would be easier. I have not seen this series since it aired it's last episode. I'm not sure why it never saw the light of day again when TNN was still on the air.

There are currently plans to release The Johnny Cash Show on DVD so perhaps that will be good news later on for Dolly, Barbara Mandrell, further Hee Haw and The Porter Wagoner Show.

FYI: The Porter Wagoner Show is currently airing on DirecTV on the network RFD. Dolly is in her early glory with her own segment in each episode and frequent duets with Porter. A missing link in Dolly's illustrious history has finally re-surfaced.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Was reading recently on Olivia Newton-John's, ONLY OLIVIA, website that R2, the same group that has released the three disc Sonny and Cher collection (and Christmas DVD) and several other variety shows of the time, are looking into releasing several other programs including Donny and Marie and also some from Barbara. Though they are not clear as to whether or not this is "Barbara Mandrell and The Mandrell Sisters" or if it will be Barbara's Christmas Special from back in 1987 (I believe that was the year).

Either way...it will finally be nice to have any variation of Barbara's work.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing her 1970s show in reruns on a local PBS station in the 1980s, and "I Will Always Love You" was her closing theme. There were 52 half-hour shows in all, enough for a box set or two. It's likely that Dolly hereself owns the tapes.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The 70's variety show featured, I believe, the first performance of The Trio - Dolly, Linda & Emmylou. That's classic television.

I can't say for sure who owns the series since I don't have any idea who produced it. I'm pretty sure it was a syndicated show. It's quite possible that Dolly does indeed own it. I rarely see clips from it, however.

ryan1993

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Johnson
The 70's show was syndicated but the 80's show was on ABC only. Dolly could perhaps own the rights. If she soes she has enough money to release it and get the rights so we can only hope!!

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
A 2-Disc Set featuring 6 complete episodes of Dolly's 1976-1977 series was released on February 27, 2007 by MPI. Though the release is called "Dolly Parton & Friends" on the packaging, each episode retains the original "Dolly" title. Here is the link for it at Amazon.com.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The DVD of the 70's series is quite good if very cheesy in parts. Dolly is great on her own and with guest stars Linda & Emmylou. However, she & Kenny Rogers are oddly chemistry-free in their appearance.

Some of the moments are great and some are cringe-inducing. Dolly's rewritten watered-down version of Bad Bad Leroy Brown is quite bad, I'm sorry to say.

As far as the 80's Dolly! show, even if Dolly owns it I still don't expect to see it again since I don't think Dolly was happy with it. I saw every ep at the time and it really wasn't that good. It coasted along mainly on Dolly's charm.

FYI: future Grace Under Fire superstar Brett Butler was a writer on the show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
mrmike898 said:
A 2-Disc Set featuring 6 complete episodes of Dolly's 1976-1977 series was released on February 27, 2007 by MPI. Though the release is called "Dolly Parton & Friends" on the packaging, each episode retains the original "Dolly" title. Here is the link for it at Amazon.com.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I see that this thread, which was dug back up recently, got started in April 2006 and finished the same month until the recent return. That's ironic, because I posted news about the release Mike talks about in Sept. 2006, and it includes front and rear cover art:
Dolly DVD news: Dolly brings some of her friends to DVD | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Charles Ellis said:
I remember seeing her 1970s show in reruns on a local PBS station in the 1980s, and "I Will Always Love You" was her closing theme. There were 52 half-hour shows in all, enough for a box set or two. It's likely that Dolly hereself owns the tapes.
If Wikipedia is to be trusted (and I realize it isn't a definitive source), the show was distributed by ShowBiz Entertainment, the same distributor responsible for The Porter Wagoner Show, The Wilburn Brothers Show, Country Carnival, Pop! Goes The Country and The Gospel Singing Jubilee. If indeed this is a ShowBiz property, it's owned by Willie Nelson via his Act IV library. The website doesn't list Dolly's show as one syndicated by ShowBiz so it's possible Wikipedia is, again, wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks