What's new

Dolby Vision (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Okay.

As I am on the hunt for a new 4K 65 inch TV I would appreciate the forums opinion on Dolby Vision.

I am thinking about getting a cheaper option TV without Dolby Vision but not sure if it is worth paying a few hundred pounds more to have a TV with the technology.

I hear many different opinions.

I will be using the TV predominantly for watching Blu Ray discs and eventually UHD 4k discs.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I greatly favor Dolby Vision and would not pick a display without it right now. I think it’s worth the extra $ honestly.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I own a Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV and I am so glad I got the capability and feel it was worth it. Make sure everything in the chain is compatible with Dolby Vision and if you just have the tv and a player then make sure both are DV capable. I feel the extra color range over standard dynamic range makes a difference and Dolby just seems to have that extra pop in picture.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Seeing that Dolby Vision is a more robust version of HDR (vs. HDR10) due to its ability to provide HDR metadata on a scene-by-scene, even frame-by-frame basis, it should provide you with richer color, more detail in the light and dark areas of scenes, and far better contrast. Now, whether you'll be able to discern this with your eyes is a personal thing. In a nutshell, having it onboard you TV is a wonderful thing, especially seeing as how the majority of Netflix original programming is DV graded. Here's the deal: if price is a barrier, you really don't have to break the bank to get a DV TV. TCL televisions are not only value priced but deliver an incredible picture for the money, complete with DV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks