What's new

Does the dvd player matter when using a 6.1 setup? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
Say I use a Denon AVR-3803 receiver and Denon DVD 1600 player. It has a 5.1 output. What I don't understand is where the 6.1 sound comes into play. Since the player doesn't have 6.1 output. Someone care to explain this a little better. Thanks

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference between "digital output" and "5.1 output." What was, until recently, an output for 5.1 sound, was the digital (i.e. coaxial or optical) connection. This is how Dolby Digital, PCM, and DTS are all transmitted. The newer 6.1 signals are sent the same way as the old 5.1 signals, and can be read by most DVD players, old or new.

"5.1 output" is actually 6 independent channels. Each discrete channel (5 plus the LFE) is sent out through a mono connection, i.e. six RCA cables. DVD-Audio and SACD use this implementation of the 6-channel output, and few players have actual 6-channel ouputs, unless they play either DVD-Audio or SACD, or both. Most receivers, like your 3803, have the correct inputs. I don't know about the 1600, but if it is capable of playing either of those formats as well as DVD, then you have to hook up both the digital connection, as well as the 6 analog connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks