What's new

Does the center speaker have to be *exactly* "centered" on top/bottom of the TV? (1 Viewer)

I realize that's probably the optimal placement, but I'll be moving soon, and found a entertainment center that I really like.

The problem is that it's shaped like a rectangle, divided into an even four spaces.

My center speaker would go into one of the top panels (fits really nicely in fact).

Now as you see, it will be off-centered. I *could* move the TV all the way to whichever side the speaker will be on, but I'd rather not do that.

Is this a bad idea? Will the off-centering be tremendously noticeable? If it would, I may just scrap the idea.

BTW - the speaker could not go on top of the TV :)

Thanks for the comments.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I don’t think it has as much to do with the TV as the Mains, in other words your center channel should be as close as possible to center between the front mains to achieve a proper sound stage across the front.

Since the dialogue comes from the center, I'm concerned that voices would sound like they are "off-centered" (for lack of a better term) if it were not under the TV.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With a basic level calibration (w/SPL meter), it shouldn't matter a whole lot. If your mains are properly located relative to the center, it will sound fine. I've done this in a friend's setup before, and it wasn't so noticable. The next issue is, putting the speaker in an enclosed cabinet can negatively affect it's sound.

Thank you for the info John. This is my bedroom setup (although most of the time my main one because of my other roommates don't often share my tatses in viewing material), so optimal sound quality isn't a huge concern, but it would bother me if the vocals sounded "left" or "right" rather than center.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd think that the detrimental effects of sticking a speaker in an enclosed space like that may overshadow any localization issues. To answer, though, I think you won't notice any off-center problem unless you're really close.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess a good 8-10 feet should converge the picture and sound source well enough not to notice a disparity.

I already stated that I cannot put anything on top of the television. I wouldn't anyway, I personally think it looks terrible.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
A tv shelf seems like the way to go. Simply built or buy something that is big and stable enough for your tv to sit on and plave the center directly below in the middle.

Problem solved

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
My setup used to be a 32" TV that came in a a nice wood cabinet... there was enough space on top to have my receiver and DVD stacked on the left side and my center speaker on the right side, on top of the TV. My mains were on either side, so the center was closer to one side than the other. At that 8-10' distance previously mentioned, it sounded fine.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Why can't the center go on top of the TV? I wouldn't put it into the cabinet, as I think it wouldn't look right of sound right especially if its rear firing. I would get a tv wall mount for a 21" set and put it on that. It would allow you to have it just above the speaker and angled down to the listening area.

Kevin

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I got a ikea shelf for I think $10, and everyting else from ikea, so look at my pictures in my signature.

One thing I forgot to mention...I DO NOT plan on putting the back on the unit. So the back of where the speaker is will be open space. Will that have any difference?

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
The easiest solution for now would be to not even run a center channel, and let the mains handle it. The other solution would seem to be to build a small stand for the center channel that could sit on the bottom ledge of your entertainment center, and adjust the height of the center speaker to where the you want it. I have to agree with the others that you do not want to put the center channel speaker inside of the cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks