What's new

Does the car brand Alfa Romeo sell in the US? (1 Viewer)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I just got my first Alfa, and I am really pleased with it.
Its a great car to drive.
alfa-daytonablue1.jpg

alfa3.jpg

alfa1.jpg

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
my favorite, Found On Road Dead
The most popular cars on the road are the economic, cheap ones. Mainly Japanese brands - Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and of course, the American brands - Ford, General Motors, and someone behind, Chrysler. The European brands (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) are more upper class, usually priced higher than $30,000. The only Italian brands are Ferrari and Maserati, and they are VERY expensive here (above $100,000). Porsche is expensive as well.
The only European economy cars sold here are Volkswagens, (Audi is saved for the higher end cars.) Nissan, Honda, and Toyota have created their own subsidiaries for high class cars(Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus), although they aren't as popular as the European cars.
Volvo and Saab aren't too popular, but they sell a decent amount (both have pretty boring cars). Generally $20k-$30k range. Subaru is gaining popularity, especially with the WRX. The Korean companies, Hyundai and Kia, sell the extremely cheap stuff (under $15,000 mostly). There are no French cars currently sold here.
And of course, you have the evils SUVS that are so popular here. General Motors and Ford own this territory (Chevy with 7 suvs, ford with 6, as well as a ton of trucks), although most car companies do have an SUV or two to compete.
Pretty confusing, ain't it? ;) Let me know if I forgot anything.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Lotus is back in the US!! Well, at least the more afforable ones.

Alfa 164 is not popular with Cantonese-speaking Chinese people because "164" sounds like "continuous death" in Cantonese. I did see a "168" (sounds like "continuous prosperity") but don't know if that was a "mod".

Although we did have the Yugo as well.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Alfa's 3.0 liter V6 was the best V6 ever made according to many automotive historians. It revved with ease putting down gobs of torque and horsepower. Quite reliable too. It's the rest of the car that broke down (frequently).
Alfa had a wonderful 2-seater, the Spider Veloce, which actually ran pretty well, looked sharp, and figured prominently in The Graduate but god help you if you were in the salt-infested northeast. It melted faster than Margaret Hamilton.
FYI, you can buy Maserati, Ferrari, and Lamborghini here. The problem is getting service. The small marques just don't have the service network to support a lot of buyers outside the metropolitan areas of the northeast and west coast.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
I've seen Peugeots around my area more and more....when the elise comes out next year i'm gonna do test drive it O_o

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
khoa- they're available for test drives now in some locations, if you have interest in one now is probably the time to get on the waiting list, as final pricing was just announced :eek:
I haven't seen anyone mention renault, they pulled out also. Rover also isn't available, nor opal. Opal seemed popular in germany, though I have no idea why any self respecting german would drive a peugot or renault ;)
There was another English car that was sold here in the 80's but pulled out, sterling IIRC.
FYI, you can buy Maserati, Ferrari, and Lamborghini here. The problem is getting service. The small marques just don't have the service network to support a lot of buyers outside the metropolitan areas of the northeast and west coast.
screw the service, the problem in my opinion is the purchase price :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
when the elise comes out next year i'm gonna do test drive it
In San Francisco, they are available already. I've seen them on the streets and in a showroom close to my workplace. Under $40,000.

MG isn't available neither here in the States. But Range Rover and Mini Cooper are available.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Volvo and Saab aren't too popular, but they sell a decent amount (both have pretty boring cars).
Every single Saab has a turbo in it which makes over 200 horse power and accelerates like it's being pulled by Satan himself. My 93 Saab 9000 has 225hp standard and frequently whoops the crap out of other cars that dare to challenge it's ferocity sir! ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Every single Saab has a turbo in it which makes over 200 horse power and accelerates like it's being pulled by Satan himself
well by comparison, all BMWs are naturally aspirated, and they accelerate very smoothly, and very quickly. drive an M3 or M5, you wont miss that turbo at all! and i'd like to add my favorite acronym...

ford - f*cker only runs downhill

CJ

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Every single Saab has a turbo in it which makes over 200 horse power and accelerates like it's being pulled by Satan himself. My 93 Saab 9000 has 225hp standard and frequently whoops the crap out of other cars that dare to challenge it's ferocity sir!
including the new SAAB WRX wagon :)

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
How bout the Vauxhall VX220?
Its an awesome car to drive 140mph around tight corners.
At least on Need For Speed it is :)
Hey Jens, that car is tight, but those rims look like they belong on a Kia (low budget). You need an upgrade quick!

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Juan:
Its winter, the icebears are still running around on the streets here.;)
But when the spring comes I promise I will get better rims.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
There is a Land Rover dealer near me; shares a lot with a Jaguar dealership. I looked at them, but they were too rich for my blood, and bought a 2003 Explorer. It runs great. :)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
It was more than five years ago, but my uncle bought a new Alfa Romeo in Canada. Don't know if they're still available. My dad has a turbo charged Volvo wagon it is one of the quickest cars I've driven. In Australia Ford stands for Found On Rubbish Dump. GMC (General Motors Canada): Garage Mechanic's Companion.

jeremy

Devin U

Second Unit
I haven't seen anyone mention renault, they pulled out also. Rover also isn't available, nor opal. Opal seemed popular in germany, though I have no idea why any self respecting german would drive a peugot or renault
HaHa, I used to have a Renalt. Well, the AMC rebaged as a Renalt. I think they all were, except for mabey the Le Car. My Renalt Encore was a POS! I dont miss that car.

Sterling was the name they called Rover over here by. I think when BMW bought them out a few years back, they got rid of Rover, kept the Mini name, and sold Land Rover to Ford. Opal is GM Europe, and is called Vauxhall in the UK/Ierland.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I have read Alfa Romeo will resume exports to the US in the near future. Nice cars.

In Germany, you can find examples of most manufacturers' vehicles. Most Europeans want/need a fuel efficient car, since gas prices are so high here. You even see Kias, Daewoos, and Hyundays here.

Jen, I'm scheduled to come to Göteborg on the 30th of this month to pick up my "boring" Volvo S60 R. (Three hundred horsepower, 298 lb. ft. torque, driver-selectable active suspension, close-ratio six speed manual transmission, all wheel drive...) look for me at the Volvo International Delivery Center. I'll be the one with the big grin on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks