What's new

Does the car brand Alfa Romeo sell in the US? (1 Viewer)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Youre kidding, right?
One of the coolest Italian car brands..
Link Removed
I feel sorry for you Americans...;)

Ike

Screenwriter
Nope, not kidding. But I'm not that big of a car nut. I'm sure someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes cars has heard of it. But not, I think, your average American.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
They are great cars, once you have been driving one of them
you will never get yourself a nother car!
Link Removed

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Alfa Romeo was sold here at one point but I don't think we have them anymore.

I still see a lot of the old Milano's on the road.

The knew ones sure look good though. I always thought that European designs were so much fresher than American ...

Shame!

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
I think I heard that they are going to import them again. Just make sure you know a mechanic that works on them because he will become you best friend.;)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Marc:
Now you are not fair!!
The quality of these cars are good.
166_1.jpg
:)

Lawrence

Agent
Fiat and Alfa Romeo have long since disappeared from the American market due to poor sales. They WERE very prone to problems and could not compete with the less expensive, more reliable Japanese models. That's why Fiat became known to stand for Fix It Again, Tony." I had a Fiat in the early '80's and the car was nothing but trouble.

Fiat acquired Alfa Romeo several years ago. Relatives of mine back in Italy swear that Fiats and Alfas have improved dramatically in reliability, but I doubt they would be able to re-enter the American market and compete with their German and Japanese counterparts.

Jens- Living in Sweden, I'd assume you drive a Volvo or Saab. I've had two Volvos and swear by them. I love my 850 Turbo!

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Lawrence:
You are right!
Fiat and Alfa had big truble with quality.
But they have really improved over the years.
You assume wrong!
I dont drive a Volvo or Saab, they are good cars but really boring!;) problably becourse we have so many her!
I drive a Peugeot, (do you have them in the US?) but my next car will defenetly be a Alfa 156.
My dad bought a Alfa 166 (the silver metallic car further up) and its a real showstopper!
danielanderssson.jpg

Lawrence

Agent
Peugeot also left the US market around the same time as the Alfas, and for practically the same reasons!

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
What European cars do you have then?

Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab what more?

Volks Wagen?

Here in Sweden there isnot many US cars, mainly becouse our gas prices!

We havean old Chevy Van that there has never really been any trouble with. 480 000 km!

Lawrence

Agent
Volkswagon, Audi, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Masserati (the last few are not common but dealerships due exist, at least in the northeast). Those are all I can think of at the moment!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Heck people here in the US don't even know that FIAT and ALFA are acronyms. If I may transliterate into English:
FIAT Fabricators, Italian, of Automobiles in Turino
ALFA Association of Lombardy for the Fabrication of Automobiles

E

Eric Kahn

Peugeot left the US market because of low sales due to the fact that the last 5 years they sold cars here, they only had the diesel engine because their gas engine would not meet EPA requirements and in the early 80's diesel engines were not exactly big sellers here thanks to GM's trying to cash in on the gas crunch with the so called "converted" diesel, compared to that engine, Fiat had the best reliablity in the world

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
FIAT Fabricators, Italian, of Automobiles in Turino
I always thought it meant Fix It Again, Tony(as someone already mentioned above).

A lot of car companies are acromyms, here are some:

Audi: Accelerates Under Demonic Influence

BMW: Bavarian Money Waster

Jeep: Journey Eventually Ends Perpendicularly

Dodge: Dirps Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere

Ford: (backward) Driver Returns On Foot.

There is also one for Pontiac but I would get kicked off the forum if I posted it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab what more?
Volks Wagen?
All very popular in the US actually. Volvo probably being the least common of this group but certainly around.
Porsche Boxters are all over, plenty of 944 and 911 variations around. BMW are extremely popular here, mostly with rich, male yuppies. For the next higher level of snob you go with Mercedes. :) Nothing wrong with the cars mind you, just noting the apparent core sales groups for each of them. :)
Audi has made a nice comeback in the US lately. Both the A4 and the TT have become very common.
The new VW Beatles are also everywhere.

Lawrence

Agent
Seth-

Actually Volvo sales are very high over the last decade. They sell better than Saab and Porsche according to industry reports. Until recently Volvos were more affordable than their German counterparts (with the exception of VW), but their popularity has increased there market price.

I don't know about Indiana, but in the Northeast you see more Volvos than Porsches, and just as many as BMWs. Mercedes still seems to be the most popular by casual observation in this area. Audis are becoming more common with their more affordable A4 and the awesome TT roadster.

If I could afford it, my next car would be an Audi S8!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yup, the Alfisti are going to be happy in a bit. Alfa is planning on coming back to America, the last I read they're just preparing the right car to start. One thinks they should do something a bit different than last time, which was not making a car that was geared towards Americans and their style of automobiles. The old Alfa 164 had decent reviews in the auto mags right before Alfa pulled out of the US. But I'm hearing plans of something around 2005 or so of them returning with a few models...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks