What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Romeo and Juliet (1968) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Like I said the image on the poster in 1968 should have been the time to sue not 50 years later

https://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates...bout-nudity-in-zeffirellis-1968-romeo--juliet Is this the one? Will be interesting to see if Criterion sells more than they would have!
That's an interesting site, but not the same one. The post I found was written in narrative form and focused more on the liability of both sets of parents. Apparently they (parents) were fully onboard and gave consent for Olivia and Leonard to do whatever was asked of them. It also explained that Paramount, being an American company, was subject to California age of consent laws.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
That's an interesting site, but not the same one. The post I found was written in narrative form and focused more on the liability of both sets of parents. Apparently they (parents) were fully onboard and gave consent for Olivia and Leonard to do whatever was asked of them.

In the prior Romeo and Juliet thread, I said the following, which I think is still relevant:

I have no insight into what happened on this production, except to say that having a parent on set would not necessarily guarantee that nothing inappropriate occurred. A parent who is not part of the movie industry can feel a lot of pressure to go along with whatever the director wants, if assured that, "No no, this is fine. It's not a big deal at all for your underage daughter to take her clothes off. Just look at all these people standing around. We're all professionals here. What could happen?"

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In the prior Romeo and Juliet thread, I said the following, which I think is still relevant:

I have no insight into what happened on this production, except to say that having a parent on set would not necessarily guarantee that nothing inappropriate occurred. A parent who is not part of the movie industry can feel a lot of pressure to go along with whatever the director wants, if assured that, "No no, this is fine. It's not a big deal at all for your underage daughter to take her clothes off. Just look at all these people standing around. We're all professionals here. What could happen?"
Exhibit A: Terri Shields.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
The legal maneuverings are theoretically about the trauma that may have been inflicted on the then-underaged actors by an allegedly abusive director: nothing to do with audience prudery.
The interesting thing is that Franco had an assistant called Dyson Lovell who was predatory. A lot of nasty stories flew around about him at the time, and later when making the film about Francis of Asissi.
If Franco was involved we may never know, but it all sounded unpleasant to put it mildly.
But Romeo and Juliet is a beautifully crafted film and was well played by all the young actors. Great music score too.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
A parent who is not part of the movie industry can feel a lot of pressure to go along with whatever the director wants, if assured that, "No no, this is fine. It's not a big deal at all for your underage daughter to take her clothes off. Just look at all these people standing around. We're all professionals here. What could happen?"

Not to beat a dead horse, but Joy Hussey (Olivia's mother) was English and Olivia herself had been raised in England since age 7. Neither Joy nor Olivia would have considered 16 to be underage as the age of consent in the UK was (and is) 16.

Last edited:

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I thought the nudity as well as the "conspicuous" flies in the boy's costumes in R&J appropriately suggested the heat in the adolescent sexuality that was absent in previous versions of the story.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If Franco was involved we may never know, but it all sounded unpleasant to put it mildly.
Brooke Shields also had some unpleasant experiences with Zeffirelli on the set of Endless Love.
I thought the nudity as well as the "conspicuous" flies in the boy's costumes in R&J appropriately suggested the heat in the adolescent sexuality that was absent in previous versions of the story.

I didn't think we still had any doubts that Zeffirelli was a lecherous predator. Bruce "Benvolio" Robinson has been telling the story of how hard Zeffirelli went for him during production of R&J for at least the past 40 years. If anyone connected with Romeo & Juliet has a legitimate case to make, it's Robinson.

In the Endless Love commentary, Jeffrey Marcus tells of Zeffirelli promising Marcus he'd make him a star if he'd go to Europe with him, only to have him go cold on him once Zeffirelli became besotted with Martin Hewitt.

Jonathan Schaech's heartbreaking story of sexual abuse at Zeffirelli's hands is impossible to ignore.

The issue at hand is not that Franco was or wasn't very continental (shall we say) about sex and sexual consent, but that nothing listed in this particular filing has anything to do with that.

Both things can be true at the same time.

Last edited:

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
But, but, I want the Technicolor pop. I need it.
How would this Technicolor pop manifest itself? More saturation to the colors? A shift in their hues?

I guess ignorance is truly bliss, because in not knowing what I'm missing, I can simply enjoy what IS there.
And from the various screencaps I've seen of this, it sure looks like the wonderful upgrade of the old RB Bd I've been craving for years now.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Lovely day
Digging into the supplements before the feature
20230214_172229.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How would this Technicolor pop manifest itself? More saturation to the colors? A shift in their hues?

I guess ignorance is truly bliss, because in not knowing what I'm missing, I can simply enjoy what IS there.
And from the various screencaps I've seen of this, it sure looks like the wonderful upgrade of the old RB Bd I've been craving for years now.
Ignorance (innocence) is bliss. One can never go back.

Well fresh off the heels of Henry 8 chopping wives heads off for something that was his fault..not sure there was a concept that women had the right to consent for anything. Let's time travel some of you back to 1590 (or 1968) as a very attractive 15 yr old girl and you can let us know how it went. (Good luck coming back unscathed).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks