What's new

Does (speaker) size really matter?? (1 Viewer)

Josh Darr

Auditioning
I am setting up my first HT system on a modest budget and the array of speaker choices is dizzying.

I am looking at NHT SB-2 front and rear and SC-1 center with a Subonei to finish it. Cost is about $1200-1500

I have seen several posts listing Polk RM6600 (~$1000) sets as good inexpensive speakers.

My concern is can I get the same sound out of the Polk's in a much smaller package as I can from the NHTs?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to get an idea from the numbers. Look at the minimum, normal and peak wattage numbers, and the sensitivity numbers. Putting those together should give you a deasonable basis for comparing how loud two speakers will go. Search the archives here if you're not sure what sensitivity is, there have been plenty of discussions on it.
Or maybe someone else will jump in and explain :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The NHTs will easily do a better job than those particular Polks. The new NHTs are extremely accurate and have noticably more bass than the previous generation.

Of note: the NHTs will need plenty of good, clean power.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
My opinion is that you cannot possibly have any idea how these 2 systems would compare until you actually listen to them.

I've had several sizes, types and brands of speakers over the years and have learned that I have some that I really like and some I don't. But there is no way that looking at pictures or specs alone could tell me which ones I'd prefer.

Bottom line is that my advice is to use the printed material to narrow down what you are interested in. Then, make a field trip or two (or three or four) to listen to these setups. I think you may end up very surprised in the differences you discover...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The NHT sub is decent, but there are better subs for the price...(not an SVS ad, but...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Putting those together should give you a reasonable basis for comparing how loud two speakers will go
However, it will give absolutely no indication of how GOOD they sound.

NHT and Polk have significantly different sounds. You may find you like one better, but make sure you can return them if you decide you aren't that thrilled once you get them home.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Chuck is dead-on. You need to audition the speakers. A larger cabinet will yield more bass and if it is well-designed the added bass will be tight and well-defined. Smaller speakers will generally image better because there is less cabinet to get in the way (to put it in layman's terms). An extremely well-designed large speaker can be made that images incredibly and literally disappears into the room but at that point we're talking about speakers that are out of most budgets. Regards.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
However, it will give absolutely no indication of how GOOD they sound.
Agreed. I thought his question was related only to the relationship between speaker's ability to play loud and its cabinet size. I re-read his question and that's probably not the case, so I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks