What's new
World Wide Stereo

"Does Blu-ray Profile 1.1 make past players obsolete?" (1 Viewer)

728x90

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
To answer your question, no. The discs still play. It only matters if you care about extra features like IME.

thezone79

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Also, according to rumors from Fox's Sushine release, the PiP features will be available as a separate entity and watchable outside of the movie for those with non 1.1 compliant players.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Considering that the players will continue to do 'everything' that they are capable of doing now, I would not consider them obsolete just because some additional features are made possible by profile 1.1 ALso, please keep in mind that to a vast majority of users the features that profile 1.1. adds, are not even important.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Just a clarification if you please. The BR profile 1.0 player is not designed with firmware upgrade capability so if you encounter compatibility issues with current and/or future software releases, your up the creek without a paddle.
If you purchase a profile 1.1+ player, these machines can accept firmware updates. Is this correct?

Real Name
Donovan

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but yes, absolutely, profile 1.0 players are definitely firmware upgradeable. Just because an ethernet connection isn't mandated doesn't make the player incapable of upgrades.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
All profile 1.1 does is allow the PiP and advanced extra features. If playing the movie is all that matters, then Profile whatever won't matter to you. I still question whether or not the intention of the first post was to inform people or show how HD DVD is better. Given the poster history, I'm willing to say it's the 2nd one.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
No, I wasn't kidding. I was told by a BestBuy salesperson that profile 1.0 players were not firmware upgradeable. Thanks for the clarification.:)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Phil,
I still can't believe you are reposting this stuff. It's not a lawsuit waiting to happen.

No matter what profile you have, the discs still play.

Real Name
Donovan

Wow. Misunderstand much?

My response was to bigluigi's question about whether profile 1.0 players could be firmware upgraded IN GENERAL, and not anywhere remotely about whether 1.0 players could be firmware upgraded to 1.1+ . That's it, and that's all I was responding to.

Since the various profiles are hardware profiles, obviously some players will be incapable of upgrading to the next higher profile, but as has been mentioned many times before, the movie will still play. And guess what? If the movie doesn't play, there will no doubt be a firmware upgrade for the player in order for the movie to play.

And in the case of Sunshine, the secondary video portion of the PiP will be playable in 1.0 players as it's own video stream. Not PiP in any sense, but available nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks