What's new

Does BEAUTIFUL GIRLS have enough audience to warrant a reissue? (1 Viewer)

Jason Monette

Second Unit
Did they ever think that if they put out a good version of the film to begin with, same with top gun, more people would have bought the movie?

Just a thought:)

I would love have this rereleased!!!

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Miramax certainly has quite a few DVDs that IMHO will generate enough interest if re-issued with a better anamorphic transfer. Beautiful Girls and Life is Beautiful are the ones I'd certainly grab.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I presently own it but if a better version came around then I'd get that too in a second. Great film. A definite hidden jewel.

Patrick

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Since it's been 6 months since this came up last, figured I'd check to see if anyone has heard any rumbling about a reissue, or if anyone else wanted to add their name to list who want one.

Is there a decent version in any other regions in NTSC? There seems to be a few Reg 2 releases that are decent- but I'd prefer NTSC- is there maybe a decent japanese release?

-Vince

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I own the current disc and am rather happy with it, course I wouldnt exactly not buy a new one. Great movie!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see it reissued, especially with a release of the TV Series spin off GOING TO CALIFORNIA. One of the best, underseen TV series of the past couple years. While not an actual spin off, it is by the same writer, begins in the same kind of town and first episode is like a BEAUTIFUL GIRLS sequel. Great show.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
The audio was 2.0 surround. Sorry, my bad.

Jon, I'd love to see that show, any idea where to catch the show now?

The guys in BG are just like the guys I grew up with in western mass. Watching it feels like "home". Originally I borrowed the disc from another HTF memeber, anson. I watched it 3 times that weekend, I bought it the following week.

There really might not be much that could be added to the dvd, but I'd like to know if that is the case.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have recently seen this movie on HBO. From those broadcasts, I went and purchased the DVD. I didn't even know it was available on DVD until I read a review of the moive in Video Hound. It got a lukewarm review, but I really like this movie. Having grown up in a very small town I remember a lot of guys like the locals in this movie. This is a very accurate portrayal of these people.

I was surprised to see in the credits that the movie was actually filmed in Minnesota and partly in Stillwater, MN, a town I visited a few years ago on vacation. Stillwater, MN is the current residence of Jessica Lange and Sam Shepherd, FWIW.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
The problem is the current DVD is seriously lacking. To be fair, the disc hit shelves in early 1999, kinda in the infancy of DVD. The picture is non-anamorphic widescreen Laserdisc recycle and there is nothing on the disc but the film.
I own the DVD and although it doesn't have any extras, the image, while not reference quality, is reasonably good (yes, I have a 16x9-enhanced TV).

RD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks