What's new

Does BEAUTIFUL GIRLS have enough audience to warrant a reissue? (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I have this in my Netflix Queue (and a special thanks goes to Patrick Sun for the encouragement, as I've never seen "Beautiful Girls" before), but there’s a long wait for it. I am bumping this thread up to see if the studio would take another look at this for fans waiting an anamorphic SE.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
ChrisCook said:
I have this in my Netflix Queue (and a special thanks goes to Patrick Sun for the encouragement, as I've never seen "Beautiful Girls" before), but there’s a long wait for it. I am bumping this thread up to see if the studio would take another look at this for fans waiting an anamorphic SE.
Chris, you've never seen BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, yet you have an OCTOBER ROAD notice in your sig?
The film is essentially the book that the lead character wrote in OCTOBER ROAD. They make mention of the fact it was turned into a movie.
OCTOBER ROAD was written as sort of a reaction to when the writer Scott Rosenberg went home after the film came out, and all of his friends were upset with what he wrote about.
If you like OCTOBER ROAD, you will LOVE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS.
I am surprised they didn't reissue it when they released season one on DVD.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Jon Martin said:
Chris, you've never seen BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, yet you have an OCTOBER ROAD notice in your sig?
Jon, I never even heard of this film before until it was brought up in the Season 1 discussion thread for "October Road". I've been very curious about "Beautiful Girls", and I just reactive my account with Netflix a few weeks ago. This would've been first to rent, but already had another film lined up to view. As soon it's available, I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, and yes, I'm a huge fan of "October Road'.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
This was one of my first DVDs. I would definitely double dip on this.

"You bought a brown rock for a girl you're not even seeing. You've been eating retard sandwiches again."

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favorite movies by a great director, and it's got a killer soundtrack. My favorite band (The Afghan Whigs) is the band in the bar scene where Michael Rappaport takes Uma Thurman out to make his ex-girlfriend jealous. I wish Miramax /Buena Vista would release a Ted Demme special edition boxset with "The Ref", "Beautiful Girls", and "Monument Ave.". Ted Demme had such a promising future, it's sad that he passed.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I really can't understand why this movie is being kept in the backburner. Maybe this was only from Europe's point of view, but at the time of its theatrical release, it certainly seemed like the "it" movie for a while!

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
i've never seen this movie but it sounds like something i would love.apparently, the current disc is OOP...i recently saw one copy in bargain bin and i was just wondering whether i should pick it up or wait...

what do you guys think? i find it hard to believe that there won't be a SE anytime soon.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's one of my little favourites, and it always reminds me that Timothy Hutton (who's career started with a flash) has continuously been underrated. It might be his own fault. (I even don't know what his last film was).

Anyway, a nice movie, of which I own the DVD since April 1999. It's not a bad release, but it certainly could be better. I'm afraid it's the sort of movie that won't get a new treatment on DVD often. But why not a simple release on HD?

Cees

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I have the old DVD, and this is one of my favorite movies.
Some reasons:
1. Killer soundtrack
2. Beautiful locations and settings. The snow and ice add so much to the movie. It's just a great "winter" movie.
3. Career best performances by most of the actors. For instance, Hutton, Rosie O., Portman, a pre-Crash Matt Dillon, and can't forget Michael Rapaport essentially playing himself, but it fits so perfectly, and the perfectly cast Uma Thurman reminding us of how beautifully feminine she can be when she is not carrying a sword.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
You forgot the 4th reason, IanDP, and that is the brilliantly written story itself.
And about your Uma Thurman remark... Well, I for one find her quite 'beautifully feminine' when she IS carrying a sword, too. If not even MORE feminine, for that very same reason. ;)
P.s. I just had to edit myself, because I could see that my above remark came out wrong.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I was not trying to make any cheap sexual joke, I was just saying that being actively agressive it's also an important side of the female world, not just a male exclusive trait.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
On last night's episode of OCTOBER ROAD, they made a BEAUTIFUL GIRLS reference. They mentioned Bishop Flats, the town from BEAUTIFUL, as being the town where a restaurant they wanted to go was located.

Maybe they can release a special edition when they release season 2 on DVD. If it gets a second season release.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Jon Martin said:
On last night's episode of OCTOBER ROAD, they made a BEAUTIFUL GIRLS reference. They mentioned Bishop Flats, the town from BEAUTIFUL, as being the town where a restaurant they wanted to go was located.
Maybe they can release a special edition when they release season 2 on DVD. If it gets a second season release.
Laura Prepon (Hannah Daniels) said that they'll be filming until Jan. 11. They're working on the 13th and final episode of the season. The network ordered 13 and they were able to get the scripts done before the writer's strike. I honestly don't know if we'll see a third season, but we'll probably get the second season on DVD. Thanks to "October Road", there's been renewed interest in "Beautiful Girls", and I can't believe they would sit out an opportunity like this.
Keep posting guys. Someone at Buena Vista has to take notice of this thread sooner or later.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
region 4 has a widescreen enhanced for widescreen.. they have had the dvd for a few years now.. so probably there is a HD version.

Jacob

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks, Jacob.

I received an e-mail from Buena Vista on Tuesday, and while they don't have anything set for a Blu-ray release, they forwarded my e-mail to their marketing department for consideration. I also brought up the strong interest here to see this film re-release with an anamorphic transfer and maybe some extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks