What's new

Does BEAUTIFUL GIRLS have enough audience to warrant a reissue? (1 Viewer)

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
I still can't find this movie for under $20. I would love to see a SE edition. I watch this movie any time it is on, since i don't own it yet. Rappaport is funny as hell in this movie, his speeches really crack me up.

When I saw this movie for the first time I looked at portman and said she is going to be a knock out when she grows up, well looks like I (and probably everyone else) called that one.

This is one of my favorite movies, i could watch it over and over and not get sick of it. Hutton is very good in this movie also. I liked him in the movie Turk 182 also, who here has seen that one???

I am all for a SE!!!!

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I liked this and another film from the same year, "The Pallbearer," so much that I went searching for the LDs and bought them as soon as they came out. I didn't buy the DVDs because they were basically LD transfers.

I would LOVE to have a nice DVD of this movie. I mean LOVE IT!

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto everyone's comments. There are several films that Miramax released during this time that deserves a SE. Grosse Pointe Blank for one comes to mind. I have the Beautiful Girls DVD and would re-buy again in a second.

Henry

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I would most definitely buy an SE of this DVD. I saw it in the theater before I ever so the Professional so it was my first encounter with Natalie Portman. I remembered the name because she was a key to the movie.

It hit home with me since the characters at the time were basically the same age as I was so going back to your high school reunion was something just around the bend for me and my friends.

Lets hope this one gets off the ground.

Patrick

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"...This movie sparkled for me mostly because of the conversations held in their upper Midwest, blue-collar vernacular and philosophies borne from middle-age reflections on lost glory.
Doesn't hurt that the film is set in my 'backyard'..."
Not to be cheeky, but isn't the film suppossed to take place in Massachusettes???
Confused in NYC...
:) D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey again,
I remember hearing or seeeing Massachusettes in the film and Roger Ebert says in his review... "It's an icy February in Knight's Ridge, Mass..."
and from Timothy Hutton's fan site... "Mr.Hutton played Willie, a 30-ish pianist who moved away from his hometown of Knight's Ridge, Massachussetts, to New York city where he met his girlfriend, Tracy (Annabeth Gish). He has since returned to attend his 10 year high school reunion and decide whether or not he wants to marry his significant other. "
Can someone pop in the film and check???
:) D

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
I am wrong, you are right :) This is taken from this web site:
http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/d...beaut.19d.html
"Several years have passed since Willie Conway (Hutton) has returned to his home in Knight's Ridge, Massachusetts. When he returns, he is greeted by his old buddies, Tommy "Birdman" Rowland (Dillon) and Paul Kirkwood (Rapaport), each of whom have their own problems. Birdman is having problems staying away from his former high school sweetheart, the now-married Darian Smalls (Lauren Holly), even as his current girlfriend Sharon Cassidy (Sorvino) does all she can to make him happy. Paul can't seem to get models off his mind, which leads to crisis with his longtime girlfriend, Jan (Plimpton). Willie, a piano player living with a lawyer in New York, can't find his own heart's desire, and soon befriends a young `heartbreaker-in-training,' (Portman). Add Uma Thurman, as a cousin who comes to town only to make more than a few hearts thump, and you've got a complex story of life, relationships, and love among friends."

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Add to that, the film's screenwriter is Scott "Con Air" Rosenberg, pride and joy of Boston University. Definitely representing Westin Mahss.

Wicked good movie, too.

Back on my meds,

CS

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
>I liked him in the movie Turk 182 also, who here has seen that one???
Me, definitely. (In case you can't tell, I'm a big Tim Hutton fan.) :)
Turk 182 was shot in anamorphic widescreen, so the only currently available video -- pan and scan VHS -- is really awful. While hardly a great film, it's one I enjoy... and I think deserves a nice enhanced DVD release.
Besides, Maury Chaykin has a tiny role in it and he and Hutton share the screen for about 2 seconds... precursor to the Nero Wolfe TV series? :) (And why isn't A&E releasing the first season of that on DVD?)

Aric

Auditioning
Just got through watching it. Don't own it, but I would love to add it to my collection. And where is that anamorphic Life is Beautiful?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I got an email today from a low level Studio contact saying that a rerelease of this film has been discussed-- but has been repeatedly shelved due to a perceived lack of interest (I assume from the lackluster sales of the lackluster original release...)

Vince

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think if they did a tie-in with Star Wars (and hopefully not with a printed blurb on the cover), they could generate some retail exposure. However, it is way beyond late for that this year.

I do hope Miramax revisits some of their initial LD ports with proper transfers, otherwise I'll end up buying the R2 versions if they are superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks