What's new

Does anyone remember that hilarious cop show 'SLEDGE HAMMER'? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It starred David Rashe as a Dirty Harry type cop who loved excessive violence and slept with his 44 magnum on the pillow next to him. I just remembered this show today and how funny it was!:laugh:
I wish they would release those eps on dvd, but I don't think that will ever happen. Too bad, I really would love to see those again, it was a great show.
I think it only lasted one or two seasons before getting cancelled.
I remember one line of dialogue between Sledge and his partner...
Partner
"Are you o.k.?"
Sledge
"I was up late last night watching a comedy on the late movie."
Partner
"Oh yeah, what was it?"
Sledge
"The Deer Hunter."
:laugh:

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I remember loving this show back when it was on, back when I was a kid. I can't imagine how much of it must have gone over my head, but I sure understood the over the top comedy!

I would pick this up on DVD if available. Perhaps it's dated horribly, but I'd love the chance to see it now that I'm an adult. I know my youngest brother can't possibly remember the show and I'd love to share it with him, too.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I was 12 years old when "Sledge Hammer!" started, and I taped every episode. I still have them.
I would love to replace these 15-year-old tapes with DVDs.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I love how the first season cliffhanger ended with Hammer blowing up the city, and then after the whole summer wondering how they were going to get out of this one, the second season was set five years earlier and was called "Sledge Hammer: The Early Years." Hilarious show!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mark, I believe it was "Trust me...I know what i'm doing.":)
Do you guys remember the ep where someone stole his precious 44 Magnum, and Sledge went out of his mind? He treated that gun like a woman, and it was like someone had kidnapped his wife!:laugh:

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I vaguely remember this show but I do remember liking it a lot.

I also vaguely remember him blowing up the city. Can someone post details on that episode? I assume that was the season finale right?

And the second season didn't deal with that? I was set earlier? Why would the writers do that? Did they know that the show would be cancelled soon?

It's gotta be that, otherwise, there was some serious lack of planning on the writers part.

It'd be nice if F/X or some other network would show some re-runs of this show. I'd love to watch it again.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The show came up in conversation recently, and someone had never seen it. So I dug around and actually found the 15-year-old tapes I have. The really scary things were the commercials from 1986 :)
I watched the first episode again, but just skimmed the season-ender. It was about some women that wanted to take over, and they had a nuclear (as some would say "nookular") bomb. Hammer, Dori, and the captain found the bomb at the very end, but there was just a few seconds left on the generic red LED. So Hammer said his usual, "Trust me -- I know what I'm doing" and tried to deactivate it. It blew up. After the commercial break, you had the voice of the captain yelling out his usual "Hammer!" over a shot of a destroyed city; not plausible since he was two feet from the bomb.
The whole idea was a lark, since the ratings weren't that good, and the writers figured they would be cancelled. But they got renewed, so they just pulled a "Early Years" stunt and went on, as if the bomb never happened. Never mind that Hammer had not partnered with Dori yet. It didn't work very well; they got cancelled soon after, as I recall.
Trivia: the actress that played Dori, Anne-Marie Martin, is (or at least was) married to Michael Chrichton, and co-wrote the screenplay for Twister with him. She hasn't done any acting since Sledge Hammer!
//Ken

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I remember when his gun was stolen; he had to use a smaller pistol with which he was ineffective. There was also a Witness parody episode.

Hammer

'Guns don't kill people.'

some guy

'I know, people kill people.;

Hammer

'No, bullets kill people.'

I try and work that on into as many conversations as possible, which is very few.

jeremy

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I remember that season 2 had its timeslot moved to the same slot as the Cosby Show. They ran ads promoting that Sledge was "taking on Cosby".

However, they probobly put him there knowing the show would not last since....

Wasnt there a paintball episode?

-nick

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I found two commerical VHS tapes (one episode each) of Sledge Hammer that I had no idea were ever released. One of them ("Under the Gun") has a running time of 31 minutes and proclaims on the box "Includes six minutes of raw, uncut, unnecessary footage never before seen!" I haven't popped this one in yet to see what the tape actually looks like...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Weird. I've got the first three volumes of "Hammered: The Best of Sledge" (I've heard there's a fourth, but never seen it). Volume I has "All Shook Up", "Witless", "Wild About Hammer", and "Under The Gun"; Volume II has "State of Sledge", "Hammer Gets Nailed", and "The Old Man And The Sledge"; Volume III has "Magnum Farce", "Hammer Hits The Rock", and "Last Of The Red Hot Vampires". They're those evil commercial EP tapes, but I think they were also about $7 each, years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks