What's new

Does anyone else think Face/Off was the best action film ever? (1 Viewer)

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Face Off is one of the worst movies because it requires an almost impossible task of suspending disbelief. However, it certainly is reference material for sound and picture. A must have DVD for showing off the system (and pretty damn good acting too).

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Face/Off happens to be the first film I bought on DVD (two weeks before I bought my first player). It is definitely one of my favorite action flicks, but like most others here, I preferred Die Hard.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
The best action films ever created are The Killer and Hard Boiled, nothing will ever match them! I love Face/Off, its Woo and Woo knows action.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Short answer: no.
Long Answer: Depends on whether you like John Woo's style.
The first time I saw F/O, I really liked it. I hadn't seen anything like it before, and was blown away by all the interesting slow mo, wind-blowing, etc. shots.
Second viewing, it was not very good. Everything that had seemed cool the first time, now felt way overcooked. All the blowing capes, flying doves, and slo-mo shootouts were far too pretentious and just gaudy.
I feel the same about other similar movies. "Broken Arrow" is decent, but overcooked like F/O.
And M:I2 was boredom on celluoid, punctuated by images of slow motion doves with rustling capes. (or whatever Woo does) :)
I can't choose an absolute best action movie (I don't think there is one), but "The Terminator", "Die Hard", "Indiana Jones", "Robocop", "T2", "Aliens", "The Matrix" are all up there for me.

Luis C. Ortiz

Stunt Coordinator
For me F/O is a big soap opera with some action, for me the whole movie is overacted. In action terms I prefer Ghost of Mars to this one, I won't watch it again in my life, and I'm a big Woo, Cage fan, but I can't stand going thru this one again. I do respect other peoples tastes and if they like it , then hey! good for you, this is just my opinion of the movie..

Luis

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Leon - The Professional.
If I wanna watch a well-made action movie with incredible acting, I go for that. Face/Off may possibly be John Woo's worst movie, if it weren't for M:I2.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I can't choose an absolute best action movie (I don't think there is one), but "The Terminator", "Die Hard", "Indiana Jones", "Robocop", "T2", "Aliens", "The Matrix" are all up there for me.
Where do you think they got the inspiration for the Hallway shootout? John Woo.

Face/Off is a masterpiece as far as Im concerned. Woo is the master and I enjoy everything he's ever done, from Bullit in the Head to M:I2. He's one of my top 5 directors.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where do you think they got the inspiration for the Hallway shootout [in The Matrix]? John Woo.
I realize that John Woo has impacted the way action films are directed nowadays, but while he might be a master of individual scenes, he doesn't always tie them together in a complete package. That is, the whole is less than the sum of the parts.
For some reason F/O doesn't replay well for me, whereas The Matrix becomes better with repeated viewings. And I found M:I2 interminably boring -- even the action sequences seemed dull (esp. compared to F/O).
Oddly, though, I enjoy Broken Arrow :)
"Would you please not shoot at the thermonuclear device!"

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Seth Paxton is right. All other movies get in line behind the adrenaline rush that is The Road Warrior. The Humungus and his crew would slaughter any John Travolta or Nicolas Cage character ever put on screen - including Vincent Vega and Hi (from Raising Arizona). Die Hard and Predator are battling it out for second place.
Brad

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
If we eliminate Sci/Fi and Westerns and War movies, I'd probably go with Die Hard or Jaws. (I call Jaws an action movie because of its non-supernatural story)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks