1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else think Face/Off was the best action film ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Blaze, Dec 24, 2001.

1. John Blaze

John Blaze Auditioning

Face/Off is far and away my favorite action film. Fast paced, lots of explosions, high body count, and mind twister story! As improbable as the trading face concept may sound, John Woo pulled it off so convincingly. Travolta and Cage were at their best playing very believable good/bad, bad/good guys. They should have won oscars for such great portrayals. Everyone that I've shown that film to has loved it, and they were not even action buffs!

How screwed up was it when

Cage (posing as Castor Troy) is in jail, and he is set in the middle room, told that he has a vistor. The door rolls open and it is Travolta (posing as Archer) standing there! Cage then realizes that everyone that knew he was undercover has been killed, and now he really is trapped in the prison as Castor Troy for the rest of his life. Then Evil Archer lets him know that he is living with his family. So the villian that killed the real Archer's son and the villian that Archer has devoted his whole life to put behind bars is now roaming free and boning his wife? Is that the most ultimate rejection or what?!

and what about

The scene where Sean and Eve Archer go to the cemetary to commemorate the dead kids birthday... Chilling!

I have watched the movie so many times and there are really no major holes in the unbelievable plot. This film really brought front stage John Woo's amazing gun fights. Gun fights went from just being a way of eliminating the bad guy to a piece of film art! For example

John Woo playing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" while all hell is breaking lose and the little kid is sitting on a lighted box just ready to get hit by a stray bullet.

and

When they were all in the Church with guns pointed at each other. I was holding my breath for a minute during that sequence

More than enought action for the typical Die Hard fan. I call it Die Hard with a plot. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and make it your next rental/purchase!

2. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] A guilty pleasure at best. This film has more holes than swiss cheese.

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I like the film, but you got to admit, the story is kind of lame...[​IMG]
    Before you get all upset, Merry Christmas to you![​IMG]

4. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Sorry, but that accolade goes to (IMHO, of course) "The Greatest Christmas Movie of All Time" - Die Hard. [​IMG]
    "Oh the weather outside is frightful
    Dum de dum, delightful..."
    Mark

5. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

I think Rock is the best action movie ever followed by Face/Off.

6. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I wouldn't call it "the best action movie ever", but I like it a lot. I find the concept to be really cool and John Woo's killer action makes up for all the plot holes. This was also the first R-rated flick I saw in theaters, so it holds a special place in my heart.

BTW, is the DVD worth getting? I've had the widescreen VHS for a few years, but never got around to replacing it.

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I agree completely. The best ever? You bet!

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I would put The Rock above Face Off as well. Also for consideration would be Aliens, Blade, and Lethal Weapon 2.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10. Sergio Martorelli

Sergio Martorelli Auditioning

One of the best action films ever is Gunga Din.

11. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I like Face/Off a lot (have the dvd) but I wouldn't say it's the best action movie ever, if only because I don't think it's even the best movie John Woo has done (that would be Hard Boiled, which is probably my favorite action movie overall). But Face/Off is a great deal of fun and IMO has the best action of any of Woo's American films [​IMG]

13. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Face Off was cool but I too would vote for The Rock as all time best action flick.

14. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    While I don't think it is the best action movie EVER (Aliens), it is certainly one of my favorites. Great performances (esp. Joan Allen) make this better than the pack. While I enjoyed The Rock, I thought Face/Off was far superior. Very emotional for an action movie, if you let it move you. Great stuff!

Take care,

Chuck

15. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

A couple of people here got it right, "Die Hard" is the greatest action movie of all-time. No question.

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    It all depends on how you classify it. Best cops and robbers action movie, 'Die Hard'. Best Action/Adventure: 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.'

About the only thing Face/Off did for me was prove further that Nicolas Cage can act, and John Travolta cannot. I thought he looked ridiculous as the heavy, and mostly just made me laugh.

I wish John Woo would do a 'Hard Boiled' (Woo's best) type movie for America. Recycle those themes with a new story.

17. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Wow, you guys have hit a lot of my favorites here. Raiders is in my opinion the best, closely followed by Die Hard. After that you got The Rock & Aliens. One not yet mentioned (no matter how ridiculous the premise is) is Air Force One. That's a really good action flick too, though I wish some of the SFX looked a bit more realistic.

Regards,

Dan

18. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

The best action movie I have seen is Predator. Not a wasted shot in the whole movie. Total Recall is also very good. I also liked Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood(both starring Errol Flynn).

Raiders is a different genre.

19. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

While Face/Off was great.... T2 is far better action and story and story wise.

20. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch