What's new

does anybody own def techs (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I fell in love with def techs and I havent bought them yet. I never hear anything about them in this forum and I was wondering why?

Greg Schex

Agent
I have a pair of pro 100 cinemas a 200 center and 4 80's and am more than happy. I have a friend with the big bipolar towers and he loves them too. Excellent quality in a satellite speaker- gold 5 way posts, heavy cabinet, metal 1" tweeters and 5 1/4" drivers and put out a very clean sound. Still haven't got a sub- needed something small- dying to pull the trigger on that purchase soon:D :D

John H

Second Unit
There are several forum members that use Def Tech speakers.

I have been using them in my system for several years. During that time I have used these models. Original BP2000, BP30, BP2000TL, C/L/R 2000, C/L/R 3000, BP2X, BPX, BPVX, BPVX/P, and PF18TL

My current configuration is:

Mains: BP200TL
Center: C/L/R 3000
Sides: BPVX
Rears: BPVX

I moved my pair of PF18TL subwoofers into my weight room and now use a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's in my theater.

John

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
i had some pro monitor 200s. they sounded good once they were working properly. i upgraded though to a different brand. anything higher than those in the deftech lineup are too expensive for me.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
With my limited budget, I've listened to the BP-8Bs...I personally thought they were really nice speakers (both auditioning in a store, and my g/f's mom has a pair). The bi-polar design really hides where the speakers are, and that was different for a front tower. The bass is good with the in-tower subs, but not as tight as I'd like. And also, the highs seemed more...muffled, not as clear as some other speakers in the same range.
I don't intend to sound like I'm bashing them, as they're one of my front-runners for what to buy this summer. :)

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,I think if you do a search you will find a lot of members have Def-techs including myself.I have BP-10's for the mains,CLR 2002 center and 4 BP2X for the surrounds.Bottom end by SVS.This setup is here for the long haul and I love it for H.T & music.Can't say the same for my T.V. & DVD.

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
how are the bp2x for the rear surrounds, I am thinking about them for my rears. However I have to stay with the 80' or the 100's for my side surrounds becasue of space. Do you think that they will blend together good.

Nico

Stunt Coordinator
For HT, Def Tech is excellent; you'll love the dynamics of these speakers. For audio, it is sufficient. The floor standing ones are very difficult to place to work properly.

Nico

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I think the BP2X's are great for the surrounds.I have my rear 2 about 4ft behind the reclining couch.This weekend I'm going to play around with the placement.I'm going to put 1 directly behind the sweet spot and 1 on the ceiling above the couch to experiment.The original idea for Surround EX was to have speakers on the ceiling,but theaters were to cheap to do this:thumbsdown: I'll post my findings next week.Sound & Vision did this with the pod scene from TPM and said it made a good scene sound even better.

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
I have two sets:

BP-2004TL, CLR-2300, BP2X main theatre and Pro Cinema 80 System (Pro Monitor 80s, ProCenter 100, Pro Sub 80) in the bed room.

Love them both...

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I own the following models...

BP8B's: Terrific speakers (when compared to similarly priced Polks, Infinitis and the like). They don't have "subwoofer quality bass" as the ad says, but the bass they put out should be more than enough for music. The tweeters are fast, though a bit on the agressive side (for HT they are superb). Positioning them correctly is a must. Their 5 1/4 cones can really take up a lot of power, and they are very sensitive.

BP6B's: Not as good as the 8's. They don't go as low, become strident at lower levels, bass is sloppier, and worse of all, they are not correctly braced, so mids sound incorrect. But I bet they'd make a great side / rear speaker. Same tweeter, so highs are the same, plus they have the same nice soundstage. Their finish is not the same, either - they look a lot cheaper.

CC1jr: A small center channel with no outstanding characteristics. Same drivers as BP6B's.

CC1: A dual woofered center channel that suffers tremendously from the arrangement - it's a "woofer - port -port - tweeter - woofer" weird assymetrical arrangement that generates timbre changes, depending on your seating position. Weird. They could have made it symmetrical without any effort whatsoever. Same drivers as BP8B's - ProMonitor 100s.

BP2X: I love these ones. They have the same drivers as the BP8B's, but in a triangular arrangement. Since they are bipolar they generate a decent ammount of bass, and their dispersion characteristics are great. I wish I could get an extra pair for the rear, but I think I'll instead use the BP6B's as side speakers and the 2X as rear speakers.

ProMonitor 100: I don't know. The drivers are superb - they are the same as the BP8B's, yet they look a lot nicer. The enclosure looks high tech; the front baffle is lovely. I've read reviews where people compare them to the new Energy line and put them above it. I have never heard the Energys, but I think the DefTechs are doing something very wrong. They are very detailed, fast, punchy, yet they lack something in the midrange. It sounds as if there was a tremendous dip in response around vocals in a certain frequency. Listen before you buy, I'd say.

PF-15TL: Great value. It's a sealed design, packs a lot of kick. It's a bit slow, though, and it lacks the all important phase switch so you have to do all phase changes from your speakers' terminals. It seems to have some kind of limiter, since it never distorts audibly.

ProSub 100: May be the worst subwoofer I've ever owned. Even worse than Yamaha's own YST-45. It has so much distortion and port noise it might be useless. I had to close the elongated port with stuffed cotton. It has no phase switch, either. I'd say this is a glorified woofer, and that's being generous.

For comparison purposes, I also own MartinLogan Scenarios, JBL LX66's, LX22's, Control LA's, a Velodyne CHT-120 and a BeoSound system.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Def Tech owner here- my setup is as follows

BP8's for mains
C/L/R 2002 center
BP1.2x surrounds
PF-15TL subwoofer

PF-15TL: Great value. It's a sealed design, packs a lot of kick. It's a bit slow, though, and it lacks the all important phase switch so you have to do all phase changes from your speakers' terminals. It seems to have some kind of limiter, since it never distorts audibly.
Hmmm.. mine has a variable phase control. Mine is not the + version, though. I have no experience with it. Perhaps that is the model you refer to. And as far as a limiter is concerned, I believe you are right. Mine on occasion has been known to shut-down under a heavy load.

Andrew B.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
You are all right. My PF is not a TL; is a PF-15, which has no phase control. It was followed by the PF-15TL, which has a 300 watt amplifier. Mine has a 170 watt one, and it's definitely sealed.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought mine. Like...literally, just got back from the dealer about 5 hours ago. Here's what I got:

BP3000TL (2)

C/R/L3000

BPVX/P (2)

I may get a smaller set of rears and place them in or on the ceiling...I dunno, something I'll have to try out...see what kind of effect it gives.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Got c/l/r 2500, BP2002tl in front, BPX sides. LOVE them for HT and for music (though I don't toe-in the 2002s for music). Full, 3D sound with lots of dynamics and loads of bass. I think they're the best HT speakers out there. I haven't been disappointed yet. Regardless of anything else the c/l/r line are some of the best center speakers made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks