What's new

Does an HDTV have to have 3:2 pulldown? (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I was wondering, because I am interested in purchasing a new HDTV, and the model that I am looking at (Either the Samsung 27" or 32" model) does not seem to have 3:2 pulldown, even though both models have an internal line doubler. If the dvd player has internal 3:2 pulldown (Panny RP91) then do I need it in the television as well? Or will the lack of 3:2 pulldown in the television make regular NTSC signals look bad after going through the line doubler. Any information I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Nope! 3:2 is only for film, so you will not notice a difference on regular TV viewing. As long as you have it in your progressive DVD player, you will be fine. I have the Sammy TSL3295HF and a progressive player that does #:2. You will love it :)

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Wrong wrong wrong!

You absolutely need 3:2 pulldown.

An internal line doubler is the most importent one because without 3:2 pulldown standard cable/dss images will look much worse than standard interlaced tvs.

It's not an upgrade, but rather a downgrade in quality getting anything less. Unless the TV had a line doubler bypass doon't get one without a line doubler that has 3:2 pulldown.

Trust your eyes, not the marketing or the specs. See for yourself at the store. be honest with yourself.

Hope this helps and best of luck

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmm.......now I'm really confused.....I thought 3:2 pull-down was only required for film-sourced DVD's......

Francois L

Stunt Coordinator
Every DVD player I know must perform 3:2 pulldown and the signal of a movie you get from the broadcasters already have the pulldown process incorporated in it. What is important, is to recognize it and deal with it correctly to get a good progressive picture.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV built in doubler has 3-2 pulldown (3-2 pulldown recognition and preservation), broadcasts and VCR tapes that are 24 fps movies will look better.
But doublers with extremely good non-film de-interlacing come close. Actually if I only had the choice of one or the other: 3-2 pulldown R & P or extremely good non-film de-interlacing, I would go with the latter. (IScan stand alone doublers and TV sets / DVD players that use the same chips have both.)
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
3:2 pulldown is yes technically for film, but the reson it exists is so the processor can change modes whether it's doing film or video.

THere are sometime when activating film mode on the line doubler will actually make the video look better and vice versa.

It helps out both.

Don't go by our confusing quick thoughts and opinions. We all have a certain bias and knowledge level that will come through any of our advice.

Simply see for yourself and compare the direct TV signals in the stores on TVs with 3:2 versus those without. You should see a remarkable difference.

Case in point: sony's best xbr set just recently added 3:2 for better line doubnling performance all around. Before then the picture quality for standard tv was actually a downgrade from previous versions.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks