Are $100 DVD players with 3:2 pulldown worth my time?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KellyR, Dec 8, 2003.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

I have an CRT HDTV (RCA 36MM something) but I don't have a progressive scan DVD player. I was looking at some $100-ish ones at Best Buy today and I figure since I'll get around $150 in gift cards there this christmas and I watch a lot of DVDs, I will get one. I noticed that a few touted 3:2 pulldown and I figured that it meant that the 460P was converted to 1080i, am I right? Also is it benificial to worry about 3:2 pull down for a 36" CRT HDTV? Any help or links that lead to info on 3:2 pulldown would help. Thanks.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, does anyone know of any at best buy right now that are good?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Wrong. Progressive is 480p only. 3:2 pulldown is merely used to create a clean 480p from film-based sources since they were orignally 24fps progressive and use flags to convert to 30fps interlaced. Virtually all of the progressive players support 3:2 pulldown so thats not special. The cheapest model that upconverts to 1080i HD format (but only if you have a DVI port on your TV) is the Samsung $300 model.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

very good article

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

In addition to what Don said, all 3:2 pulldown really means is that the deinterlacer has a film mode, which can convert film sources with no loss of resolution. Again like Don said, most all progressive DVD's and HDTV's have a film mode deinterlacer in them. However, there is a $440 Marantz in the lastest Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI that essentially doesn't have it as it stays locked in video mode. I've placed a link to the latest tests below.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=112

Also do remember that players that upscale to 1080i gives a "virtual" HD. Do not expect it to be the same quality as true High Def. Many TV's also now can upconvert 480i or 480p to 1080i. My Elite does this and is basically makes things brighter and sharper due to more lines of resolution.

5. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Thanks guys.