What's new

Dodsworth - MGM disc vs. previous version (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have the older DVD of Dodsworth (I think it's HBO), but I'm wondering if the MGM version that just came out would be an improvement at all. I'm not too optimistic here.

Has anyone seen both so that they can comment?

(And are the titles windowboxed on the MGM version?)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm not usually one to bump my own posts, but I thought perhaps the lack of response initially was due to nobody having seen the disc yet.

Can anyone comment on this yet?

(And if you guys just haven't seen the movie, you really should...it's good.)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yup, they are reviewing the MGM disc, but have posted the cover art for the old HBO disc. :confused:
Anyway, you're probably right about it not being a new transfer. I don't expect much from MGM cheapo DVDs.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Rain, thanks for reminding me about this title - I'll have to budget it in somewhere. I love Walter Huston! Now where's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I picked up DODSWORTH (MGM) a few days ago and finally got around to watching it over the holidays. I can't compare it to the previous release but the picture quality is adequate. The titles are windowboxed. This is only the third time I've seen this picture but it is more rewarding each time. As another reviewer pointed out, it holds up well for a 65 year old movie.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
Now where's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

Scheduled by Warners for late this year (along with some other Bogarts), the last I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks