What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Do You Think Monster Squad Will Come Out This Year? (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I like alot you probably had their hopes crushed when the news that Monster Squad was coming out last October turned out to be a bust. Do you think it's possible it could come this year? I read this post somewhere but i'm not sure if there is any truth to it. I love this movie and despretly want it on DVD but i'm still a little skeptic.

"It will be out on DVD the same time as Van Helsing - "October 2004 both will be out on DVD at the same time, and also in a double feature pack"

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jim, where do you hear that rumor?

I really hope it's true, this was a childhood favorite growing up and I'd love to be able to own it again in a nice restored and watchable condition.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Here's something a little more substantial to give you hope, Jim. I was just looking at IGN's DVD site. Under their "What's Up With..?" column, I was surprised to see them say that it was rumored that Anchor Bay is working on it.

HTF's TV on DVD forum noted that Anchor Bay is picking up tons of new titles under new ownership. It would make sense for them to pick up a title with such a cult following. Heck, I've never seen this movie and I think I would buy it. Any movie that inspires such devotion must have some good qualities.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Let's just hope any DVD will be a legitimate release (unlike the rumored release last year which was supposed to come from a less than reputable company.)

"The Monster Squad" deserves a quality WIDESCREEN release.

Will K

Screenwriter
It's don't know. It's working as I type this. Was probably just down at that moment.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
This was my favorite movie for a long time growing up, needless to say I would love the dvd.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
This was my favorite movie for a long time growing up, needless to say I would love the dvd.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw this movie on a friend's old VHS tape. A hell of a lot funnier than I remembered it. A sad observation is that this Dracula is miles ahead of the one in Van Helsing.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw this movie on a friend's old VHS tape. A hell of a lot funnier than I remembered it. A sad observation is that this Dracula is miles ahead of the one in Van Helsing.

Moe*A

Stunt Coordinator
How depressing it is that this fantastic movie still isn’t available on DVD. I remember watching it a handful of times when it was released on VHS in the 80’s and have never seen it since. What’s even more bizarre is that no one knows who owns the rights; someone invested a lot of money at some stage and doesn’t know where their property went?

I really hope this rumour is true, and can hope that we get a nice cleaned up widescreen transfer, DTS and a director commentary?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Damn! This is probably one of the top 5 most anticipated releases in this household. I'll file it over in the when I'm dead and buried column. Right under another anticipated release I will never live to see. :frowning:

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

At this point? No, I've pretty much given up hope. I clicked on this latest thread post guessing what was there to be read in your post EXACTLY. Now I can add to the whining. :frowning:

Matt M

Grip
According to DavisDVD

Lions Gate Expands Its Library

Lions Gate Entertainment has announced that it has agreed to buy the entire library of films held by Modern Entertainment, a unit of European pay TV broadcaster Modern Times Group. The deal adds 322 films to Lions Gate's library of 8,000+ movies, including rights to films such as Conan the Barbarian, Ragtime, Amityville II, Halloween II & III, The Dead Zone, And God Created Woman, Eight Million Ways to Die and Earth Girls Are Easy. Many of the titles in the deal will be owned in perpetuity, with more than 95% including television rights along with a majority including video-on-demand rights.

Lions Gate also noted that the acquisition will unite all rights to the Modern-owned Vestron titles under its roof, including all rights to Dirty Dancing. According to the studio, the Patrick Swayze film sells over one million DVDs per year. Along with the recent sequel to the film, Lions Gate has a new musical stage play touring Australia and Japan, is mulling a reality television series and is planning a 20th anniversary theatrical and DVD re-release of the original film in late 2007.

The part that interests me the most is the part about the aquisition of the Vestron titles. Back in VHS days, (according to IMDB and the copies on eBay) Vestron were the ones who released The Monster Squad on VHS. Is there any chance of it getting released by Lion's Gate since they have united all the rights of Vestron.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks