What's new

Do You Really LOVE Your System??? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I want to start this thread by thanking the members of this forum. I joined about 14 months ago with the hopes of completely rebuilding my HT system from scratch. I took advice, listened with my own ears and narrowed down equipment based on my needs and the recommendations of those on this forum. This website has been the foundation of 80-90% of my overall research and last week I was able to make the final upgrade on my system.

It's been a long, and somewhat expensive journey, but as I was sitting back listening to the Porcupine Tree album "In Absentia" tonight (highly recommended for those of you who aren't familiar with their work)...I came to the realization that I absolutely LOVE my setup now. It has everything I was hoping to achieve when I started so long ago. Yes, I know there is better equipment out there, but I tell you one thing, I am in no rush to find out what it is. I was lost in the music tonight and had a huge smile on my face!

Thanks HTF! I just was wondering how many of you share the same sentiments? How many of you have gotten to the point where upgradeitis is so small that it's almost non-existent? I think I realized tonight why I love this hobby so much and just wanted to share it with the membership. Thanks again!

DanaA

Screenwriter
Ditto to what you said. My eyes/ears feel so lucky these days. And, like you, most of my buying has been done after picking up suggestions at HTF, not just for audio/visual, but for computers, printers, digital cameras, etc. and a huge amount of information on software, both CD's and DVD's.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Evan,
This forum has saved me bucks, lead me in the right direction, and introduced me to a bunch of, as my wife call you all, "imaginary friends," to which I reply, "These are real people...I think." ;) And best of all- the advise has been terrific, and I agree- I couldn't be happier with my little system- which sounds like a big system, which makes me smile very big smiles, which makes my neighbors not smile at all, which makes me think I need to move to a house, which puts a big smile on my wife's face, which makes me think "when I move I'll need to add more," which makes me smile all over again and keeps me coming back here for more... and so the cycle continues. That "..point where upgradeitis is so small that it's almost non-existent..." is a temporary state of mind, Evan- trust me! For have you built the perfect sub yet? Mmmmm...the possibilities are endless.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I am happy with what is currently my system for the next half year at least. Glad you're aboard!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Same here. I've actually reached a point where I'm not thinking of what to add or change. I'm just enjoying listening. How long can this peace last?

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Actually no I don't LOVE my system. I like it helluva lot though, except I could always upgrade my Divas to Rockets and my Denon 1802 to a Denon 3803 or even better an H/K 8000.
Most of us are never satisfied with our system, but that's just why we go on HTF to ponder the best upgrades at the best prices to improve our system :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
After 3 years I still love the system. Heck the system rocks so good, I still convert family members to become HT equipment owners. I still get the comments from the converted that my system kicks some serious ass. Now if I can only get a RPTV about 43 inches from the wife:D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Actually no I don't LOVE my system. I like it helluva lot though, except I could always upgrade my Divas to Rockets and my Denon 1802 to a Denon 3803 or even better an H/K 8000
Anthony, I see your perspective and was there for many years. But when you have reached the level I have, the costs of improvement (marginal at best) have reached the level of diminishing returns.

For instance, I have an Anthem AVM-20 processor. Sure, I could upgrade to the Anthem Director when it is released or go with a Lexicon MC-12, but 6 or 8 thousand for a processor is out of my budget. I also know that doubling the cost of my processor is not going to double the sound quality of my system.

I think I have gotten to the point where the time and money invested to make my system better would not be worth it. Therefore I can sit back and enjoy what I have and not worry about it. It's quite refreshing, actually.

EdwinL

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh... but one must realize their level of satisfaction is directly correlated to where they have been. Now if you've been listening to music on a COMPUTER speaker, going to a HI-FI system is like being reborn.
As for me, I will never be satisfied... It's just not in my blood :)

Matt Parnell

Agent
I love my system. Even though my H/K signature 2.0 has its quirks, it's still the best piece of stereo gear I've ever owned (especially since it's paired with the signature 2.1 amplifier). It pained me to sell my previous H/K AVR 5, which was also an amazing receiver for the price.

I've got all Paradigm fronts (monitor 9's, cc-370 and pw-2200) and Bose 201's for the rear. Incidently, the Bose 201's are actually decent speakers - especially for their $200/pair pricetag 7 years ago.

I'd love to upgrade my TV/DVD player at some point, but unfortunately, the budget won't allow it.

Still, I by far outperform EVERYONE in my entire dorm for quality of sound.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
I guess it's time for you to change your post signature.:)
Congratulations on achieving audio nirvana.
Greg

kevitra

Second Unit
Yes, I 'love' my system.

If I have a bad day at work, I put in some soft music, turn off the lights, and listen. My system makes me very relaxed and gets me 'into' the music. The speakers disappear and I have a live band in front of me.

Or if I a am in a 'jam' mood, my system can let me experience a live rock band in my living room.

I often find myself really into the music and forgetting about everything else, which to me is what my system is for. I have spent five years since being out of college to put together my system. It was (and is) enjoyable to go to hifi shops and listen to the newest and greatest thing out. What makes me happy is knowing that my system as home can complete with many others costing much more. I am at the point where I would have to spend more than I can to get a decent improvement. Thanks to forums like this and others I have learned a lot and saved a lot of money.

My system:
ACI Sapphire III speakers (definelty the heart of the system).
Jolida 302b integrated tube amp
Denon 3802
Rotel RB991
SVS 25-31

Coming soon: ACI Sapphire 25th anniversary edition. If they live up to what I have been told, I'll be in audio heaven.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I love my system....though I still have some small changes to make. A few cables, universal player and surrounds upgrade and I will be thrilled. In the last 6 months I have upgraded from an onkyo 989, B&W DM630s, NTHM1, CSW surrounds/rears to AVM-20/RB-1090/RMB-1095, B&W N804s, NHTM1, DM601/DS6 surround/rears. My wife has commented over and over how wonderful the system sounds and I totally agree.
Marc

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Like you, Evan, I joined here interested in HT gear and this forum has been outstanding in supplying that information (i.e. Denon 3802, Paradigm Reference speakers, cables/interconnects, SACD players etc.). However, that being said, there was a definite change in my priority from HT to now two channel music. When I started to listen to music more than watch movies, my focus changed.
Do I love my system? No, but I currently enjoy this new hobby it very much.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
No I don't really love my system...

First off, I can not do much to control my environment...It's too small for my stuff, and has some poor room acoustics, and given that its a brand new nyc apartment, i can only do so much to make it better. I honestly believe, given the quality of my equipment (not great, not bad), there is nothing i can do to make it better that would affect it as much as changing room acoustics.

Second, I wish I didn't buy the top of a line, I would have preferred buying the bottom of line, in terms of speakers, so I could move up more easily...

Third, I like my Rotel, but I don't love it.

Fourth, I should have gotten a cheap projector over my CRT, even if the picture would be the same quality, it would have made my room better...

Fifth, im just a grumpy kind a guy, if i had BAT monoblocks, new mcintosh dvd/dvda, the top maranzt SACD player, 7 N800's, asw4000, i would still complain...

I love my system. My 27" TV displays movies beautifully, and my relatively modest sound system produces sound so good I hardly ever go to the theater. I think it's pretty good for music, as well; though if I'm listening by myself, I tend to use the music-only system. ;)
I've experienced better systems, but not so much better that I've been able to justify to myself the cost of upgrading.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
No way do I love my system.
Upgrade here, another there... tweak here... tinker there.. you get the idea.
Oh, I have come to know my system, and how it sounds in my room. And I probably love my room more than my system, come to think of it ;')
I just know that with the "right" processor, I could really get closer to the "event". It is purely subjective,IMHO, so there is consolation for all. I jest, but it is a quest to get to saturation. Never get there myself. Don't have the funds 8*(

No. Love not. I will continue to move at a snails pace until, until I can say "things are sounding and looking better". And then I move on.

my.02

BOK

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I love my system...although it remains a work in progress. I use mine 75% of the time for music and for this use I am very very pleased. I make a point of listening to at least one disc at the end of each work day, with the lights off and my eyes closed. The sense of realism never ceases to make me smile as I drift of into some sonic landscape or another, forgetting the cares of the world for 70 minutes or so. Music wise I have not had the erg to upgrade for two channel since moving the AVM-20 in November/01. I have recently added 20's to match my Studio CC and 100's increasing my already strong enjoyment of DVD-A. No further upgrades needed for music for a number of years at least.

For movies however, I have yet to get the AVM-20 hardware upgrade or move to 7.1. I enjoy 5.1 on this system very much, but intend making these upgrades in the near future. I also intend on going front projection at some point. One of the strong features of the Anthem prepro, after confirming the sonics, was the promise of upgrade-ability. In this way keeping the prepro current while I take my time on my upgrade path.

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks