What's new

Do you know anybody that prefers Fullscreen over Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I would refuse to let my money be spent on a fullscreen copy of a movie that was made in widscreen. That just shows the studio that there is demand. I would like to see no more than 10% of all DVD's purchased be a fullscreen copy.

Daniel DeLawter

Stunt Coordinator
Nobody sees a movie on my home theater and wishes they were watching fullscreen.

Perhaps that's because I put mattes on my widescreen TV for Anamorphic 2.35:1.

Every DVD "fills" the screen, every DVD is presented in correct ratio - and everybody's happy :D

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
someone at work bought the LOTR fullscreen --I asked him why didn't you get the widescreen version. His reply.. "I hate those black bars... I don't have a widescreen tv!":frowning:

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'd personally like to see all non-OAR material just vanish. Then there'd be nothing to argue about.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Derek_McL, as you said - OAR is the important thing, not widescreen. To those who rarely buy older titles the distinction may be unimportant, but to me it's far from unimportant. Most of my DVDs are "classics" and probably most of them with an OAR of about 4:3.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I wrote in post 35 quote:

"There should be OAR releases only. Those whose main priority is a filled screen may use the zoom feature."

Reply in post 45 quote:

"And then, with the exception of open matte releases, they can't tell what's going on because it is simply centered rather than being panned and scanned. But, yeah, force the people who don't agree with us to watch a lesser quality picture and not being able to see what exactly is going on."

It'll work OK most of the time, so it doesn't matter. I think that is enough.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine has an old front projector and a giant 4:3 screen. He prefers to watch full screen movies with it despite the fact that he has watched numerous movies on my 16:9 screen. He hardly ever comments on how much more enjoyable they are, and really doesn't care about OAR. He watches TV with his projector and has only one setup mode, making it difficult if not impossible to switch to anamorphic only for DVDs. His projector also cannot handle a doubler/scaler. In any case, he just enjoys watching anything "big screen", not necessarily "wide screen".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks