Do you know anybody that prefers Fullscreen over Widescreen?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DouglasRobert, May 23, 2004.

1. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

Do you know anybody that actually prefers Fullscreen over Widescreen?

What do you think of it?

Do you still try to convert them to Widescreen?

I have a sister that prefers Fullscreen over Widescreen. Tried to show her the benifits and it was like talking to a wall. Gave up.

2. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

I would never consort with that type of individual. [​IMG]

I know plenty of people that just don't care either way but no one who prefers fullscreen / P&S over OAR.

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Oh, sure. But they're all casual movie fans who really don't care about the presentation, and none of them have home theater systems. They just care about following the story.

I wouldn't waste time trying to convert anybody. It's not a life-and-death issue. All you can do is tell them why you prefer widescreen and leave it at that. Besides, she'll change her mind when one day she gets a widescreen HDTV.

And people are changing. Look at the sales stats for DVDs -- widescreen consistently outsells full screen.

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Yeah my brother-in-law likes fullscreen because it's not as small on his t.v. as widescreen.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

NO. [​IMG]

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I know many, but I try to convert at all possible opportunities. If the person is firm in hating the black bars though, I won't push it.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, even I prefer fullscreen over widescreen when it's appropriate (films with an OAR of 1.33:1 or narrower). But all who I know who preferred non-OAR have been converted to OAR-friends.

8. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Yes I know two people. What irritates me about both situations is they know exactly why widescreen exists they just dont care. They say that if fullscreen cuts it off then it isn't important that therefore not worth seeing. It doesn't bother me as much when people prefer fullscreen becasue they dont know the advantages. But when a person knows why widescreen is better they still choose full screen, thats what bothers me.

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Then they don't get it. If they got, they would realize it is important.

I like this analogy:
    The Mona Lisa is a nice painting, but museums have decided to make all frames a certain size and shape to standardize the exhibits.
    What? You mean this priceless piece of art doesn't fit in the "standard" frame?!
    Well, we'll just cut off the edges so it will fit!
    But aren't we destroying part of the painting?
    Don't worry about that, at least it fills up the frame!

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I know of a few, sadly. [​IMG]

11. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

My list is getting shorter and shorter. I think my mother-in-law still prefers it. My grandmother prefers both full screen and colorization. We don't see eye to eye on that at all.

My parents were anti-widescreen for years, but I've finally converted them. My dad was easier to convince than my mom. My mom now asks me if a movie is supposed to be full or widescreen, and usually has me check her DVD's to make sure she bought the right one. Occasionally, she'll buy an older movie, see that it fills her screen, then call me to make sure she doesn't have to return it.

12. Natalie F

Natalie F Stunt Coordinator

Argh! Thats exactly what my Dad says. I literally feel like smacking him round the head.

Whenever we watch something in widescreen, he says that half the picture is missing. I've explained it to him and shown him pictures, but I'm not sure whether he says that just to annoy me, or if he really does believe it. I hope its the former, because otherwise he's really stupid.

But in general he prefers fullscreen just because it fills the TV, and even though I show him that picture is missing, he says it probably isn't important [​IMG]

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I saw somebody at work watching the Fullscreen of LOTR:TTT. Since Fellowship is my favorite movie ever, it was very hard to resist walking over and asking where the rest of the movie was.

14. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I don't even try using the word "composition" anymore when trying to convert somebody.

Had one guy who has told me multiple times that "widescreen is a marketing gimmick to get people to buy new tvs" and another who said "I thought everything was getting away from widescreen and going back to normal". What do you say to those pieces of "wisdom"???

15. Natalie F

Natalie F Stunt Coordinator

All the people who hate widescreen must have some sort of shared mind, because thats exactly what my Dad says as well. He just thinks its a fad to get people to buy new televisions as well. Even though I've tried telling him widescreen has been around since the 50's, he still won't listen to me.

At the end of the day, I don't really care if some people prefer fullscreen over wide. As long as they make both, and I'm not forced into buying something that isn't OAR then thats fine. Plus it'll be their problem when they buy their WS TV's and end up with black bars on the sides.

16. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

Just said: If you lose an eye, isn't very important, because the large vision you have will be a square, and "the cuts it off isn't important that therefore not worth seeing"! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

I actually made that exact same Mona Lisa analogy and they said thats totally different. Oh well, I still enjoy my widescreen.

18. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

19. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I know a guy who's a very big movie fan, and loves cinema and lives his life around it. He completely understands Widescreen, but he prefers foolscreen simply because he says wide is for the theaters, but FULL is better suited for television - he says he can't see the action and the characters' facial expressions when he watches Widescreen on his TV. I've told him to buy a bigger TV, but it's no use.

He also laughs off the need for Widescreen saying: "who cares about missing a tree or a bush!" -- and this guy's a BIG cinemaphile!!

20. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I'm gonna use that.