What's new

Do you have obsessive compulsive tendancies? I do. (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil are all good ways to treat this type of disorder. Many people do (including myself) have some kind of OCD. When it gets to the point of driving you or other people nuts then it may be time to seek treatment.

Jeff

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Dedrick
If I go by a road sign (for example) I have to count the words starting at the top and working my way down to the bottom.
I do something kind of like this, only it's ten time worse: I look at a word or a phrase and I count the parts of each letter, then I count the letters, then I count the vowels, then the syllables, then the word, then the sides of the word, then the sides of the syllables.

Example: The word "THREAD"

The "T" has two parts: the top and the vertical body.

The "H" has three parts: two sides and the bar in the middle.

The "R" has four parts: The straight back, the half circle above, the slanted bar below and the empty space inside the half circle(like the hole in a donut).

The "E" has four parts: A straight back and three bars going to the right.

The "A" has four parts: the two slanted sides, the bar in the middle and the empty space above the middle bar.

The "D" has three parts: The straight back, the curved side and the empty space in the middle.

All together that's 20.

Now I count the letters in the word. There are 6, that makes 26.

Then I count the vowels. There are two, that makes 28.

Then I count the syllables. "THREAD" is one syllable. That makes 29.

Then I count the word. That's one, giving me 30.

Then I count the sides of the word(meaning the left, right, top and bottom sides). That's four, giving me 34.

Then I count the sides of the syllables. Since "THREAD" is one syllable, I only have four sides to count. That's four, giving me 38.

"THREAD" is thirty-eight.

Of course that's in capital letters. Since lower case letters are different, a different number would result. ("thread" is thirty-three)

EDIT-
I usually try to do this with a word in which the final number is a multiple of three. Then if I should end up with a desired multiple, I can add those numbers until they are a single digit number. (which is always 3, 6, or 9)

Example: If I should end up with 48:

4 + 8 = 12

1 + 2 = 3

3 is the final number.

Or even sometimes if it doens't add up to a multiple of 3.

3 + 8 = 11

1 + 1 = 2

2 is the final number.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a counting thing. I don't count everything, but if I see a sequence of numbers, I try to fit them into an equation. I also try to count the amount of letters in a title or phrase I see, then I count them again (second time I count the spaces). It's not really OCD, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Then again, I LOVE math, and I am constantly trying to use it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
When I was younger I used to stay awake for hours checking to make sure I'd set the alarm clock.

I don't do that anymore. Instead I wake up several times during the night and early morning, look at the clock, and calculate exactly how many hours and minutes remain until the alarm will go off. My alarm clock is also set exactly 20 minutes fast. It's the only clock in the house that's set fast or slow. The clock in my car is set exactly 9 minutes fast.

When dressing for work, I must put on my right show first. The socks can go on either way, but the right shoe must go on first.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I constantly am checking that my wallet is in my pants when I am out of my house, if that counts as compulsive. Besides that I am basically pretty easy going, to others dismay sometimes.
I do this all the time. Ill get a little panic and then reach down by my pockets to feel for my wallet and keys.

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a OCD that I am aware of, but someone I used to work with used to fascinate me with his need to have things straight.

From our office, I would watch him take 10-15 minutes a day parking his car. Getting out and all but measuring the distance to the lane markers. When he finished that, he would take around the same amount of time setting his laptop up on his desk, except that he used a ruler to measure distance from the side and bottom of the desk. His briefcase had to be parallel to the side of his desk.

People would come in and push his laptop to the side, which would require him to fix it. I eventually got these people to stop doing this because every time he left the office, he came back to check to see if someone touched his desk by breaking out the ruler. This would take a few more minutes. Sadly, we eventually had to let him go because he got very little work done. He was a highly paid consultant.

I really feel for people who deal with this. I can see how it takes over some people's lives.

PS - I once asked him how long it took to line his girlfriend up to have sex and if she got out of line how did he handle it. He never answered.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
paul -
using my best jedi-mind trick...
"straighten your cd's you must! hmmmm...."
:)
oh yeah...i have this whole "thing" about public restrooms, but i think i already posted that topic before.
finally, i mean no offense to anyone with serious OCD. i can imagine what a burden this could be...i've seen some documentaries where this disorder completely takes over their lives. not a pleasant thought...
best wishes,
ted

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I've noticed that i only have such tendancies when i'm stressed out....and that is when i check the door and check my pocket for my wallet, and check for my keys.
I used to have a certain route to get to work that i didn't want to vary from even though there were other options.......that wasn't "the way".

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I do this all the time. Ill get a little panic and then reach down by my pockets to feel for my wallet and keys.
You know, I do the same thing. I didn't even think about it until people started mentioning it. Looking back, I've done this forever. When I was 16, I remember sitting in a friend's house. I was getting ready to leave and I started patting the sides of my pants to see if my keys were still there. I didn't feel them immediately and started patting all over, looking for them. I found them, then relaxed (I had a few minutes before I had to take off).
I looked up and my buddy's mom had been watching the whole time. She slyly said, "Did you lose something important down there?" :laugh:
Man, I felt like an idiot.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Instead I wake up several times during the night and early morning, look at the clock, and calculate exactly how many hours and minutes remain until the alarm will go off.
I do this sometimes, but it's more of a subconcious thing than an OCD deal with me. During the school year, I usually wake up anywhere from an hour to five seconds before the alarm, but hardly ever do I actually wake up to the alarm.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Boy do I. I use a tape measure to put all my HT components at the exact center of each shelf, and at the exact same depth on the shelf for each component. When unloading the dishwasher all glasses of a same type have to be in a row. If someone else has unloaded the dishwasher I have to move them to their correct positions.

When working out at the health club if the bench for doing bench presses isn't at a 90deg angle to the lines in the ceiling I have to move it. The bar has to be at the same angle as the lines in the ceiling when I am doing bench presses. I am sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks