What's new

Do you have obsessive compulsive tendancies? I do. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You know, little things that you do and you don't know why you do them, but you just have to in order to feel normal.

I have three things that I just have to do, one is everytime I walk past the kitchen or bathroom sink, I have to make sure that both the hot and cold faucets are turned off nice and tight. I don't even think about it half the time, but I do it everytime. I can't seem to move along if I don't.

The second is the same thing, only it's the knobs on the stove, I have to make sure that they're all in the off position perfectly.

Third, everytime I leave a room, I have to make sure that the lightswitch is in the off position. My hand just goes right up their without me even thinking about it.

Now, these are the only things that I really have a problem with, so i'm not an acute case of obsessive compulsive, these are just weird little quirks that I have that I can't explain. It doesn't effect my everyday life either.

Do any of you exhibit anything like this, or should I seek help?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not me. I WISH I had at least a little bit of that, would probably keep my house and office from getting messy all the time.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'm paranoid about locking doors. Sometimes I check the front door two or three times before bed because I can't remember if it was really locked or not.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
What I'm paranoid about is locking my keys in the car. I never, ever slam that door without thinking to myself "keys" and then locating them.

Jon

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Ah! Me too; I'm the same way about the faucets and the locks. Drives my nuts; I'm really trying to break the habit.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I constantly am checking that my wallet is in my pants when I am out of my house, if that counts as compulsive. Besides that I am basically pretty easy going, to others dismay sometimes. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
What I'm paranoid about is locking my keys in the car. I never, ever slam that door without thinking to myself "keys" and then locating them.
I just locked my keys in my car yesterday.
Fortunately, it only takes me about 5 seconds to break into a Fiero without damaging anything. Had to break into my own enough times that I've become an expert at it. :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm a neat freak. It always impresses company when they come over to the house, but it drives my friends nuts. My bandmates always sit and watch with amusement as I tidy up the stage before a gig. I also check my alarm clock three or four times before going to bed...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Here's mine: When eating in a restaraunt (not a fancy place, mind you), I have to take a last drink of my soda, or stick a last french fry in my mouth as I get up from the table... I don't know where that comes from. It's as if I was in a hurry or something.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
off the top of my head...
  • after i brush my teeth i HAVE to put chapstick on. i go crazy if i don't. heaven forbid i run out...
  • my ex-gfriend pointed out that i....umm...."shake" the same way everytime after i go to the bathroom (file that under t.m.i.)
  • if my rear-view mirror is even a millimeter off, i know it. i'll adjust it countlessly until it's just right
  • i'm also a freak about locking doors
  • i put my cd's face-up in the jewel-case. if i find any crooked ones i straighten them...even my friends
  • all my remotes are pefectly lined up under my cd rack
  • the logo on the cigarette lighter in my car must be upright and horizontal
i have so many issues, i think i need my own magazine rack!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Dave, I thought I was the only one that does that! It doesn't matter where I'm eating, either. Usually I'm already standing up, putting on my coat, grabbing my purse, and the other people are already walking away, then I reach over and take one last drink of my soda. I really try not to do it cause people think I'm weird, but most of the time I can't help myself.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
My audio and video settings in my home theater. I don't know why, but I'm always checking to see if their right. It's weird because I'm not obsessive compulsive about basically anything else.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I always blow out my coffe cups when I grab them from the cupboard. It doesn't matter if the just came out of the dishwasher I will still do it. I don't do it with glasses or anything else, just coffee cups.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Whenever I walk past the fridge I always push on the door to make sure it's shut. If I forget I'll double back to do it. I think I'm just afraid of warm beer as I never bother with the freezer door. I used to have more quirks but as OCD runs in my family I try hard to squash any odd tendencies before they get out of control.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
i put my cd's face-up in the jewel-case. if i find any crooked ones i straighten them...even my friends
Hey Ted, I used to do this too before I aquired too many CDs to count. My friends used to tease me by rotating my CDs and I would follow up behind and straighten them out again. I didn't even realize they were teasing me. I thought they were just careless about CD placement. Once I figured out they were having a great time rotating my CDs, I stopped fixing them and I eventually stopped doing it altogether and forgot about it until you just mentioned it.

Dedrick

Agent
Having been recently diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder by a psychiatrist, I know all about this. Locking the doors over and over, touching the door frame five times, putting shoes straight, etc., and most of all, counting things over and over. If I go by a road sign (for example) I have to count the words starting at the top and working my way down to the bottom. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be normal but I have been taking some medicine that makes me feel a lot better. I feel sorry for anybody out there that has this, it's not very fun to say the least.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have a lot of OCD symptoms, too.

I do that thing with the faucets, the lightswitch and the stove. (When I saw Jack Nicholson with his lightswitch bit in "As Good as it Gets", I couldn't believe it!)

As far as my car, after I remotely set the alarm, I MUST stand there and watch the light blink a certain number of times before I walk away.

My hair has to be a certain way before I can relax. My wash hair and style routine used to take me 4 hours. It didn't matter if I was going to sleep and mess it up in a few hours -- it had to be just so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks