What's new

Do You Associate Numbers With Colors? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
All my life, whenever I think of a number, I picture an associative color. For example, to me, 7 is yellow and 8 is green. I bring this up b/c I wonder if other people are the same. Maybe you associate colors with letters? If so, let's hear what ya got.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

(1 being white)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nope, no way I could remember all that.
ever take that test where they show you a name of a color, like BLUE, but the BLUE text is the color green and they want you to say the color, not the word? tough stuff :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I always saw 7 as green. Don't know why, but thats the extent of my lunacy (as far as that goes).

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
1=yellow
2=blue
3=red
4=purple
5=orange
6=green
7=dark reddish color
8=black

also...

9=yellow stripe
10=blue stripe
11=red stripe
12=purple stripe
13=orange stripe
14=green stripe
15=dark reddish color stripe

KyleS

Screenwriter
Wow very cool but I cant say that I do this. At what age did you start to remember or associate the colors with the numbers? I know that you say forever but since you were a little child? The reason that I am asking is that was it a certain set of toys or something that you always played with? It seems that with all the children's toys that are out there that they each have different colors with each number. Just inquiring minds wanting to know. :)
KyleS

AllanN

Supporting Actor
1 White Orange
2 Orange
3 White Green
4 Blue
5 White Blue
6 Green
7 White Brown
8 Brown

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Am I picking up some sarcasm here? ;) Allan is referring to cat5 cable! correct order too

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't associate colors with numeric digits (unless, like Gabe, I'm working on a circuit), but I associate tastes with irrational numbers.

Pi is my favorite!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Chuck/Allan, I associate those numbers with those colors too. . .must because I work with that stuff everyday ;)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Check out this site
Sythesthesia
It belongs to the daughter of a friend of a friend of mine. Anyways she has this disorder and didn't realize what it was til she was in her 20s. I like this quote from one of her pages:
Apparently for some people associating things with colors, whether they be numbers, letters or even smells happens for them all the time.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
0=black
1=brown
2=red
3=orange
4=yellow
5=green
6=blue
7=violet
8=grey
9=white

Resistor color codes. Although I never just out of the blue think of a color when I think of a number. That's kind of weird.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Wow! I definitely have sythesthesia...it just so happens that one of the authors of the websites provided is a professor at my university. I e-mailed him about my craziness. I guess it happens in females 71% of the time, so I am in the minority. I also associate colors with letters, but not as strong as with numbers. weird.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Now that I know that I am one of the very few on the planet that has these extra senses
i dont know if its all that umcommon, i myself used to have it, big time, but apparently it has toned down. it used to be that most of my senses would get mixed up. for example, if i would smell or hear something, i'd have a certain image map in my head instantly, and the same smell would result in the same color map. its not a solid color either, the only thing i can liken it to are the color maps in punch drunk love. they arent much like the colors in the movie, but they are are a few different colors, in that respect. at least now that the movie is out, i have a way to describe the maps, before, it was a bitch! anyway, glad to know i'm not alone. i knew other people had it before now, but it seems more common than i thought.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks