What's new

Do we all like Warner again? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I think that as a whole, Warner was pretty well liked by the DVD community until the initial announcement of the Wonka fiasco. Since then, they have gone back and promised a widescreen version. Not to mention they have released two other highly requested "Family Entertaimnent" discs in widescreen (Goonies and the Neverending Story).
Warner consistently delivers excellent picture quality with clear and vibrant pictures, well done anamorphic presentations with minimal grain (even on older movies) and has never been known (at least not recently) for excessive edge enhancement.
Also, keeping in mind their generous (by other studio's standards) pricing policies and theyve never really done anything that could be described as underhanded like a certain other major studios policy of re-re-releasing Ultimate Editions less than a year after the first release of the movie.
Aside from the fact that they stick with Snappers (something that believe it or not, not everyone hates), I think that Warner should be considered one of the top companies when it comes to consistent quality with their DVDs.
Reading reviews on recent releases like the Goonies, Driven, Exit Wounds, etc., most all the major DVD review sites always give stellar ratings to the audio and video quality of these discs.
Whats everyones opinion?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Uh, What about Cats & Dogs??
I will be scooping up CITIZEN KANE, but if Warner really wants to get back on my good side they could release Accidental Tourist on dvd
cool.gif

[Edited last by Brian Lawrence on September 13, 2001 at 08:57 AM]

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I still have a beef with them until they release SOUTH PARK the way it should be. This whole theme crap is ridiculous.
John

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
With the VAST number of titles in Warner's library, I feel that it is not a good idea to ever be MAD at them. Disappointed perhaps, but not mad.
No, I don't like snapper cases. They get caught with each other on the shelves.
But, they do have an incredible library.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't think I can forgive them yet. There's still Cats and Dogs, Shiloh, Shiloh 2, that hasn't been verified if they are OAR, or MAR.

Ben Tallen

Agent
Jeez Mike, do you work for WB or something? :)
Actually, I would say they are pretty much back in my good graces. C&D aside, they have shown that they can at least respond to consumer outrage if not consumer opinion.
BTW, who actually likes snappers? I really am curious.
Ben Tallen
[Edited last by Ben Tallen on September 13, 2001 at 11:19 AM]

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
As a reviewer, I've given the recent Warner titles I've received some decent marks. But, just because I've given an indvidual disc from a studio high marks doesn't mean I trust or even like said studio.
I don't speak for all reviewers, just myself.
Daniel L

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
No, I dont work for Warner. The reason I posted this thread was to see how you all perceive them. I still rank other studios such as New Line, Anchor Bay, and Columbia quite a bit higher on my favorite studio list.
I commend Warner for doing some things right, but by no means are they perfect.
As for the question about who LIKES snappers, I havent ever come across anyone whose specifically liked them, but there are those that dont really care about the two different style of cases. There are quite a few people out there like that.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What ARE we going to do about South Park people? Should we wait a while and start up a campain? I hope that more than one person on the chat brings this up. I wanted South Park more than the Simpsons but Warner just doesn't seem to get it. I want them all and I want them in order.
-dave

ben ricci

Auditioning
I think that what the original post was trying to say was that in general, Warner has become a very respectable studio. Sure, there are some specific problems, but at least they listen to directers/consumers. I mean, I never thought we'd get Goonies or Neverending Story in their OAR's. Plus, they did listen to our petition re: Wonka. If memory serves, I also don't think I have any non-anamorphic Warner discs. Can I say that about any other studios? No. As for Cats and Dogs, was anyone really going to buy that anyway?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
They're still on my shit list. I'll buy discs that they do right (including Lord of the Rings, surprisingly enough), but there is the whole South Park fiasco, plus they continue to sit on an enormous catalog and refuse to release it. Citizen Kane is nice but where is Treasure of the Sierra Madre? White Heat? Any number of great WB or MGM or RKO films?
furious.gif
angry.gif
furious.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
When Return of the Joker is released uncut, then we'll talk.
------------------
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Snapper cases...ugh
Are they really that cheap? Has anyone found a use for those proof of purchase seals?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
To tell the truth I do like snapper cases when they are of the fold out variety (LA Confidential, Sweet Hereafter, Matrix), . I just think they look classier than plastic amary cases. But the non fold-out ones that don't even have a gloosy sheen (Superman, Road warrior, Contact ) are indeed very cheesy looking.
Fold-out snappers
icon14.gif

Non Fold-out
icon13.gif

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Anyone who can remaster Kubrick's films like that will be in my good books for many years to come!
It looks like Citizen Kane is set to be another benchmark for digital restoration and the most comprehensive set of special features since Criterion's Do The Right Thing and Spartacus.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
When they do the following:
-Babylon 5 (full season sets)
-All movies in their OAR
-Batman & Superman animated (full season sets)
-Batman(1989) as a SE
-Return of the Joker (uncut)
-Getting rid of snappers
wink.gif

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I feel OK about WARNER. I appreciate them for being the champions of the DVD format and, unless I'm mistaken, was against RENTAL PRICING on new releases. Without WARNER'S staunch support, I think DVD's would be 1-2 years behind where it is today and Paramound and FOX would JUST be starting to make anamorphic dvds. (MI:2 would probably be non-anamorphic)
However, I think that WARNER has gotten a bit lazy when it comes to pioneering the new generation of dvds and are beginning to treat it like their VHS division. I know some people in the DVD wholesale industry, who say that WARNER no longer ships new releases as early as they did before.
I think that studios that have been hesitant to get into DVD (Paramount, FOX, and DISNEY) have recently made great progress, with New Line trying to keep pace, while Columbia has been consistent throughout.
Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks