What's new

The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) 50th Anniversary? (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Do you think we might see this underrated animated classic from Chuck Jones out before the year ends (providing we all live and survive it that is)?

Warner Archive first released it on DVD back in 2011, but instead of them doing it again I'd like to see either Shout Factory or even Criterion do the blu debut instead.

1588802827159.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A quirky and kind of enjoyable live-action / animation hybrid. Colorful and sporadically quite inventive. I'd pick it up.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’ve loved this film for decades. I snapped up the archive dvd ASAP. I’d love a Blu Ray, but it’s doubtful. Not the kind of movie Criterion would release... but it would be nice if someone did.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I think WAC would be a perfect fit. Since they seem to be doing well with their Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Hanna-Barbera and Tex Avery sets, a Chuck Jones film might not be out of the question. First, they need an HD master, and so far, none of the copies currently available to purchase are HD.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’ve loved this film for decades. I snapped up the archive dvd ASAP. I’d love a Blu Ray, but it’s doubtful. Not the kind of movie Criterion would release... but it would be nice if someone did.

Criterion released Watership Down a few years back, and that's an "interesting" animated film, so I don't see why they couldn't release Phantom Tollbooth as well. I can easily see it fitting in with a lot of the others titles they've released so far.

I think WAC would be a perfect fit. Since they seem to be doing well with their Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Hanna-Barbera and Tex Avery sets, a Chuck Jones film might not be out of the question. First, they need an HD master, and so far, none of the copies currently available to purchase are HD.

WAC blu titles are just rehashes of the original DVD's, they very rarely add anything new. Shout and Criterion would put in the time and effort to give Phantom Tollbooth a good release. Shout just did an audio commentary with Butch Patrick last year for their Munster, Go Home release that came out two months ago back in March.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Criterion do this film right - but it's not a "classic" or "Contemporary" film. A commentary with Butch Patrick would be most welcome.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Criterion do this film right - but it's not a "classic" or "Contemporary" film. A commentary with Butch Patrick would be most welcome.

How is Watership Down considered more of a classic/contemporary than Tollbooth? Watership is just plain disturbing.

Rehashes with excellent video and audio upgrades which trumps extras though I'd certainly prefer both.

Other companies do excellent audio and video upgrades the same, but WAC it seems blows their whole budget of each title on the HD masters and anything after that is an after thought. I'd love to hear Butch talk about what it was like making this film and working with the great Chuck Jones and the legendary Mel Blanc.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
To many people, the film is the most important thing. For me, I want a pristine looking element and bonus features. But if I can only get one, I'll take the pristine element to have the film on Blu Ray looking it's absolute best.

I never said Watership Down was more classic or contemporary. All I said was that Tollbooth doesn't fir their brand. IMHO.

And yes, Watership Down is disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks