What's new

Do guys really welcome women into the world of HT? (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'll just make a blanket apology for any mispellings that occur in my posts.
Most people just sweep their mistakes under the rug! Good for you!
One day, I'll check those movies out, although traditional horror (zombies, undead, evil aliens, stupid people with exposed breasts) are sooo cliche! A strategic bomber dropping 30 tons of cat dander on my house...now that would horrify me! *sniffle* *sneeze*
Hmmm...but I did enjoy PJ's The Frighteners. How would that flick compare to the fave's you mentioned?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
User comment on Dead Alive (aka Braindead) on imdb.com:

Braindead is the finest splatter movie ever created,and will remain so until Peter Jackson decides to make another one i guess. I cannot see how you can top this movie,both in hilarious innovative gags and gore. It really is in a class of it`s own.

BTW,those of you who has seen the american version(Dead Alive)are losing out on some of the gore,yes even in the unrated version. The only way to see it fully uncut is to watch the european Braindead version.
Whoa...UNCUT version? Have you seen that one Julie?

Julie K

Screenwriter
Whoa...UNCUT version? Have you seen that one Julie?
This was the reason I bought a regionfree player :D
There are basically three versions of Braindead/Dead Alive. There's an R rated version in the US which, from what I hear, makes no sense at all. The US DVD is unrated but missing about 10 minutes of gore and character development from the full uncut version. I'd still recommend the unrated US version if you don't have a regionfree player.
(Hmmm...talk about thread derailments. We go from women in HTF to splatter movies...)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are no better movie zombies than in Night of the Living Dead--both Romero's original and in Savini's superb remake. Love those films.

I think that Alan Alda-hosted PBS series is called Scientific American Frontiers--yet, for a show sponsored by so august a journal as SA, one would think it should be aimed higher.

One of my favorite episodes concerned pseudoscience nonsense and those who aim to show it for what it is. Of course, James "The Amazing" Randi was on hand.

Come to think of it, one of my favorite NOVAs was the one featuring James Randi demonstrating how easy it is to fool the typical human being. One of his colleagues, for example, was a "psychic" and "palm reader" who is a psychology professor. He got into the psychic racket because he knows all the ways in which to tell people what they want to hear.

It gets rerun a lot, so I strongly recommend the episode.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The lawn mower bit just jogged my memory. I'd almost forgot I had seen that movie and I wish I had forgot :p)
I don't know what version I saw (it was VHS, uggh, but that end lawn mower scene did go on for quite a while), but at the end I mentioned to the person who brought it over that I wanted that 1:30 of my life back.
To each his own I guess ;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There are no better movie zombies than in Night of the Living Dead--both Romero's original and in Savini's superb remake. Love those films.
I will agree with that on both counts. I'd also say that there is no better idea for a Zombie movie more undermined by over the top performances than "Day of the Dead".
That being said, there is always room for Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Dead-Alive/Braindead under my big zombie umbrella. :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
About "Braindead": I saw the completely uncut version in the theater (twice, actually :)), and I don't understand why that version isn't the one released on DVD in the US. Character development is, in fact, needed for this movie, since it is not only a really gory, but a seriously good and funny movie!
I will get a region-free player anyway soon (there are finally a bunch of Swedish movies coming out on DVD in Sweden, R2), and I'll be getting the uncut Braindead DVD too then.
Julie, where did you get your region-free player, did you get it locally? I would like to buy mine in a B&M store, but that seems to be impossible. :frowning:
Oh, and yeah, women are welcome in the world of HT.
/Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Apex makes region-free players, and they're widely available.

Would I be able to get the unrated Japanese version of Eyes Wide Shut, which is NTSC, and play it on an Apex, I wonder?

Grrr. The very thought of Warner sometimes makes my blood boil. You wouldn't believe how shabbily they treated the recent, two-week 70mm run of 2001 here in L.A.--only a small, 1"x3" ad in LA Weekly. Now, that's not the way to "market" one of the greatest achievements in all of cinema. Ugh. Some studios.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have a Sampo 620, which is a lot like the Apex. I forget which online dealer I got it from, but that doesn't matter since I'm not going to recommend it. It, like the Apex, will not do anamorphic downconversion while doing PAL to NTSC conversion. If I were buying one today, I'd get the Malata which will do both. I'll probably get the Malata pretty soon anyway. There have been long Malata threads over in the Regional DVD area.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I thought Apex discontinued the region-free mode on their player, after pressure from the movie industry or something? Either way, I haven't heard good things about the quality of Apex players.
I also need a player that not only plays non-region-1 discs, but converts from PAL to NTSC. The thing that irritates me is that this is widely available in Europe from all the big name consumer electronics brands (Sony, Toshiba, etc), yet here it's impossible to find them. :frowning:
/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Last I read the threads about the Malata, the player wasn't shipped anymore, due to some software problem. I gave up on it because of that (and because it's a brand I've never heard of).

Looks like I need to check that thread out again.

Where did you get your Sampo?

will not do anamorphic downconversion while doing PAL to NTSC conversion

Does that mean you can't play an anamorphic PAL disk and get it in NTSC? That would defeat the purpose of it in most cases, wouldn't it?

/Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The answer to that predicament is simple: get a 16:9 display--or a 4:3 that compresses the raster into a 16:9 window. No downconversion issues to worry about then.

The Discovery Channel did, however, broadcast a skeptically oriented documentary on so-called "near-death experiences" fairly recently. Well worth watching.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I thought it was the early Sampos that had the software problem. The Malata seems readily available though - you want the N996 progressive scan model if you want anamorphic downconversion and PAL to NTSC at the same time.

Or you could also get any regionfree model you care for and then buy a separate PAL converter.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Sampo, ever notice how taken the staff of The Perfect Vision is with the company's high-def displays. And come to think of it, isn't the set capable of scanning at PAL frequencies? That's the reason the company's 16:9 models only have notch filters instead of comb filters.

Now, there's your solution right there.

Here's a trend in science television programming I wish would go away: All these sensationalistic documentaries about asteroids colliding with Earth. NOVA did the only really good presentation about this in an episode called "The Doomsday Asteroid." Then came all this crap from Discovery and, most notably, TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks