What's new

Do guys really welcome women into the world of HT? (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have to disagree with you Max. Janna put it better than I could. There really are other things to life than sex ;) For every gal that hits on you in the supermarket, there's another one (few, several, I don't know) who just wants to get the damn groceries and get home in time to catch the movie on TV. At least I do. I like Patrick's advice to just treat each other as people with common interests. That's certainly what I am looking for here.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The people who are ALWAYS seeking one or the other (or both) often fail because they can't hear any lines but their own.
Obviously, if a guy goes up to a girl and says "Wanna fuck?", I'd expect him to fail. But what about the subtle and more clueful man who goes up to a women and says, "Hello! I really enjoyed that play your were in. When does your group play in town again?". And the man will always talk about something he is genuinely interested in. And during the conversation he can gauge a few things, regardless of whether he is looking for a mate or not: Is she single and unattached? What are her future plans? Is she intelligent and witty? Does she share other common interests?
I've witnessed men saying, "Oh, I'm not looking for anybody!", and they seem very sincere and mature about it. And five minutes later he's chatting it up with the hottie across the room, with the both of them flirting in the most obvious way imaginable. I find it very amusing and not in the least surprising. Of course, this is from the men's perspective...it could very well be that, from your perspective Janna, that women do not do these things, especially when they are already married or are in satisfying relationships (and I would have predicted that from basic biological principles which I won't bore you with!).
Always remember this: What a person says, and what that person does, often have nothing to do with each other, no matter how sincere is the sentiment. Use common sense.
So, in a sense, we both agree. Right? :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Clearly, I never said that everyone is out to get sex all the time. What I'm saying is that people are often unaware of their own contradictory actions. And that people seek far more than they would admit to themselves, or more accurately, are completely unaware that they do. Especially men. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
And that people seek far more than they would admit to themselves, or more accurately, are completely unaware that they do. Especially men. :)
Perhaps so, but there are degrees of 'seeking'. There's a big difference between having a pleasant conversation with someone who treats you like an individual, even if somewhere in the back of his mind is 'sexsexsexsexsex', and talking with some sweaty palmed hopeful who does nothing but stare at your chest.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Julie, where were you to tell me all this stuff years ago before I learned it the hard way by making a complete ass of myself more times than I'd care to remember? :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I agree with ya there Julie, even though I never had someone stare at my chest during a conversation. :)
Anyways, you DVD collection is kind of strange...I'm not a horror fan myself, but then again I haven't been exposed to horror that I really liked (although I found the newer Night of the Living Dead kinda creepy and hilarious at the same time...a classic!).
What did you use to scan your DVD barcodes in for DVD profile? I cannot find a cheap bar code scanner in my area...everybody says I have to go to a specialty store where they charge $300 CDN. :frowning:
And I don't think Radio Shack ever offered the CueCat here in this part of Canada. Grrrrr.

Julie K

Screenwriter
though I never had someone stare at my chest during a conversation.
I kind of figured....
As for my DVDs, well, I love horror. My favorite movie is Bad Taste, which I suppose may say something about my taste in movies.
I entered each of my discs by hand. When I started DVD profiler I had about 200 to enter at once. It was a great bonding time between me and my DVDs. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Julie: You should get the DVD presentation of an excellent episode of PBS's NOVA series: "To the Moon." I was screening it just last week--despite some lapses of information (as in the ommission of any mention of the almost-forgotten Apollo 7 mission), the documentary is very well-made. In other words, it's typical NOVA. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread about science programming on television--and why most of it blows (and why NOVA is better than anything that can be found on the so-called Discovery Channel). JB

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey wait a minute Julie...you're the freak who complained that Peter Jackson was wasting his time on Lord of the Rings! I remember saying to myself, "This person needs to get his priorities straightened out", and then went on to the next message in that huge LOTR prerelease discussion thread, without glancing at your name. Heh.
Weirdo!
Jack, Nova is still around? I thought they went out of business years ago. ;) Many of their programs, while highly accurate and of good quality (in hindsight), bored me to tears when I was younger. Falling asleep was my most common reaction during those shows. :frowning: Maybe it was that narrator's pseudo-monotone that did it in for me?
I do like some of the science programming that they show on the Canadian Discovery channel (Discover.ca). And TLC does sometimes have good shows...their Osama Bin Laden special was particularly good...surprisingly sober and unbiased (must have been a BBC production), and the Canadian sex series was particularly excellent (whoops that was on Discovery I believe).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I just realize you entered all your DVDs into DVD profiler by hand. That sounds like obsessive-compulsive behavior to me!

I hate vacuuming, but once I have that reassuring thick tube in my hands, a demon takes over my mind and I just can't let go until I sucked all the dirt off. Must...clean...house...no...must...resist!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Shamelessly highjacking this thread, I must point out that NOVA's principle narrator is one of the show's appeals--that, and its almost grim seriousness, which appeals to me immensely. Much of what I can't stand about The Discovery Channel (besides its obnoxious station-bug logo) is its tendency toward sensationalism. It and TLC are often like the old OMNI magazine in that regard. There are often exceptions on Discovery, though--but dealing with that logo is a challenge.

Stay tuned to that thread I'm threatening to start in "Television"--or whichever section it stands to get the most readership.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
the old OMNI magazine
Ugh. That dredges up bad memories. I remember being excited by OMNI when it first came out, then watched it devolve, with more and more crapola New Age mysticism.

You're right about Nova. Best science series on the air, AND available in HD!!!! One of my favorite episodes utterly annihilated the credibility of all the Erich Von Daniken type nonsense, including the so-called Bermuda Triangle.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As usual, Robert, you're on target. OMNI magazine even had a regular "UFO" column--and took the subject seriously (they even interviewed that charlatan who claimed to work at "Area 51" on "alien spacecraft"--what's his name? Oh, who cares).

Go to NOVA to see these pseudoscientific topics pilloried. I hope you participate in my forthcoming science-on-television thread. (That'll be in the next day or two--I'm still reeling from the news about, well, a certain highly respected member here who got booted off the Forum--but let's not get into that thorny issue.)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I'm not sure, but was the narrator for the Bin Laden special on TLC the same one they used in Nova? I've heard that voice many times before...it's a good voice, unless you're a kid. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I keep trying to make a note of his name, but he has indeed freelanced for several other documentary programs, including ones on Discovery and TLC. Unfortunately, I missed the doc on Osama bin Laden.

Another PBS science program that's amusing is Scientific American's Discover, or something like that--you know, the one that's hosted by Alan Alda. It's aimed at a less-demanding audience, but it's still good.

Also, there's Nature.

Hey, wait a minute. This is the sort of stuff I was going to put into my thread. Stay tuned: It'll be in either "Television" or "After Hours." Wherever I can get the best ratings.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hey wait a minute Julie...you're the freak who complained that Peter Jackson was wasting his time on Lord of the Rings!

Quilty as charged. I have since seen and quite enjoyed LOTR, however, I still wish it had been Bad Taste 2 (or somthing similar). In fact, it is with great difficulty that I hold myself back from serious ranting about the lack of commentary and extras on the recent Anchor Bay Bad Taste release that was due to LOTR.

Jack,

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out that series. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's underwhelmed by the Discovery Channel.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Quilty as charged.
Is that cotton or foam? :D
Bad Taste is a romantic comedy right? A touching homage to axe-wielders and love-struck teenagers everwhere? :p)
Come to think of it, both TLC and Discovery have been very repetitive...how many times can they show Walking with Dinosaurs and that Kathleen Turner-hosted sex show? More content dammit!
Hmmm, I wonder if Pam and Vanessa are horror-movie freaks too...that would be interesting!

Julie K

Screenwriter
Bad Taste is a romantic comedy right?
It's actually Jackson's Dead Alive that's the romantic comedy. It's such a touching love story between a man and a woman and hundreds of hungry zombies.
Bad Taste is the charming story of the bravery of a chainsaw-wielding, Uzi-toting psychotic nerdy scientist as he saves the planet from hungry aliens. I can relate to that. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks