What's new

Do all SPL meters need adjustments? (1 Viewer)

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
I know the infamous RS spl meter has a correction chart for adjusting the readings of the lower octaves. I have a spl meter (SPER Scientific, analog, $90) at work that I can use. My question is, do all meters need to be "corrected?"
I would like to use this meter and not buy the RS model if I don't have to. Thanks for any suggestions.
------------------
Rich G.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
"I know the infamous RS spl meter has a correction chart for adjusting the readings of the lower octaves. I have a spl meter (SPER Scientific, analog, $90) at work that I can use. My question is, do all meters need to be "corrected?""
Depends upon if the meter applies a weighting to the signal. The 'correction' for the RS SPL meter is not because of some inherent inaccuracy of the meter as is commonly thought. It is simply the inverse of the 'C' weighting that the meter applies to the signal. The net result is flat metering.
Some SPL meters offer an option of no weighting to the signal (flat). If you use this type of meter there is no 'correction' to be applied.
Shawn

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn, thanks for the reply. The frequency weighting: dBA
How does this equate to the RS or actual use? Will there have to be adjustments to this meter?
Thank you much,
------------------
Rich G.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
"The frequency weighting: dBA How does this equate to the RS or actual use?"
It would be the same (excepting any actual measuring differences between the two) as using the RS on 'A' weighting.
"Will there have to be adjustments to this meter?"
Yes, and *much* larger ones for 'A' weighting as compared to 'C.' 'A' rolls off the bass much more. It would be better to use the RS meter on 'C' weighting.
Shawn

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much again Shawn. I guess I should get the RS and use the adjustment table. I want to find the FR of my room and speakers before I decide on a sub.
------------------
Rich G.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks